jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can less skilled service jobs ever earn as much or more than manufacturing jobs?

1. Eugene Hardy profile image61
    Eugene Hardyposted 6 years ago

Can less skilled service jobs ever earn as much or more than manufacturing jobs?

2. Neil Sperling profile image82
    Neil Sperlingposted 6 years ago

Of course....... it takes almost no skill at all to wash windows.... but if you do them fast and squeeky clean, hire a bunch of people and get them to do the same you could end up cleaning high rise windows after developing a huge business.

Some people on a hot dog stand in the right location earn 10 grand a month.

question is - can you be happy at what you are doing?

3. whonunuwho profile image80
    whonunuwhoposted 6 years ago

Yes, there are a few out there, but on the average, training in a technology, such as technical schools, even a two-year degree in a special field such as the medical profession, will generally pay a good deal more than most less skilled service jobs.One of my jobs as a teacher was being responsible for helping my high school special needs students get employment and work with their employers. I saw that there was a need for specialized training very quickly. Department of Rehabilitation can be helpful in helping secure jobs. Employment agencies charge for their services, but can eliminate some of the hassle in looking for a job on your own. Newspapers and the internet, as well as job fairs are other common sources for the jobs search and all can be successful avenues." Learn a skill and earn more doe", is the general expectation. Banding together may be good in some cases, such as forming a band, yard work business, cleaning services and even such things as food services. Look for training though, to make more of a salary, in most cases.

4. ackman1465 profile image60
    ackman1465posted 6 years ago

I think your premise is not always correct... and there are MANY "service" jobs that pay better than "manufacturing" jobs.....

ANY job - independent of it's "description" - that requires more skill will, necessarily, pay more than a similar job which DOESN'T require such skills....

5. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 6 years ago

Not in general but there are some niches where less skilled service jobs could earn as much or more. The problem is that it takes an extreme amount of effort and organization to get to the higher income brackets with the few low skill service jobs where it is possible and the vast majority will burn out, get hurt, or have something sideline them prior to making a decent income.  I hope that people in or those gravitating towards lower skilled service jobs treat these jobs as more of a short term step towards their greater goals and not an end all be all career.

working