jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you agree with the NDP on the calorie law?

1. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

Do you agree with the NDP on the calorie law?

the want to pass a law making chain restaurants post the calories of the items they sell on the menus board, do you think it is a good or bad idea?

2. jennzie profile image82
    jennzieposted 5 years ago

Yes, it gives people a better idea about what they are eating.

3. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 5 years ago

Absolutely. After Mimi's Cafe started posting the calories on their appetizers, I started cutting back on the main contributors: the dipping sauces.

A lot of chain restaurants are doing it and it actually helps them to learn what the customer preferences are. If customers wind up changing their ordering habits, then the restaurant can do better supply planning, especially where wasted food is concerned.

4. DFiduccia profile image77
    DFiducciaposted 5 years ago

This law concerns the health of the public. It would allow people an opportunity to make healthy choices about what they ordered in restaurants. I’m all for it.

5. Clive Donegal profile image76
    Clive Donegalposted 5 years ago

I think that posting nutritional information is an excellent idea.

Last week I was in a restaurant that had nutritional information for each choice printed on the menu, and I changed my order as a result. It wasn't my first choice, but when I saw the difference in fat and calories between my first and second choices, it would have been irresponsible to go with the first.

For those who choose to disregard it, it does no harm. For those who choose to make responsible choices it does good.

Darwin's law will sort it out in the end.

By the way, I enjoyed my second choice.

6. BlissfulWriter profile image68
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

I don't think it is useful because the number of calories does not tell you whether a food is healthy or not.  There are lots of foods that are high in calories but healthier and causes less weigh gain than low calories foods.  It is not about calories in and calories out, but about how different foods affects our insulin and hormonal systems.