jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Do you agree with the States that have passed the law for welfare recipients get

1. Alphadogg16 profile image90
    Alphadogg16posted 4 years ago

Do you agree with the States that have passed the law for welfare recipients get tested for drugs?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

Yes, for the simple reason if they are obtaining illegal drugs, they are taking food out of their child's mouth.

Alphadogg16posted 4 years agoin reply to this

You are absolutely right about that JT

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Alpha.

3. lburmaster profile image85
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

I think that is awesome and it needs to happen in Texas. Fantastic! We are moving forward!

I agree....definitely needed in Texas

4. capon profile image60
    caponposted 4 years ago

I'm in the UK, so I don't have a knowledge of  US welfare, but I would ask "Is the welfare payment conditional or is it an outright gift?" If, as I suspect, it is conditional then there is a duty upon the recipient to spend it in accordance with the condition(s). If this is being abused then a form of evidence seems justified.

5. ShootersCenter profile image72
    ShootersCenterposted 4 years ago

Yes it's a great idea but I would go one step further, To a work for welfare program. Everyone is capable of doing something for their community. I'm always willing to give a hand up but not hand outs. I also think these should be handled on a more local level, people of the local area know the needs much better.

I totally agree with that ShootersCenter

6. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 4 years ago

No. States that have implemented them have found that they cost more than they save. In many cases they have also been found unconstitutional, and states that implement them are going to find themselves in court spending more money on a case they probably won't win.

Secondly, they don't help anybody. Kicking people off of welfare won't somehow transform them into a non-drug user. If the testing is meant as a way to get people help, that's be one thing, but for the most part they seem to simply be punitive. Removing welfare funding from them doesn't remove them from society, doesn't necessarily remove the burden they place on society, and doesn't alter any of the underlying factors contributing to their situation. So they do nothing but provide symbolic punishment, which I just don't get.

working