jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Which is better, doing the right thing or doing things right?

1. mjboomer profile image73
    mjboomerposted 5 years ago

Which is better, doing the right thing or doing things right?

2. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago

Definitely doing things right. My reasoning is this: Over the course of half a century, I have observed that the road to hell is definitely paved with good intentions. Doing the right thing is sometimes  a reverse time-bomb...it too often blows up in your face.

mjboomerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think it can be, but sometimes I wounder if the two perspective can be interchangable.

3. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Doing the right thing - right.
    Right thought, right speech, right action.

Thanks Mick S, true enough!

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I don't believe the two are mutually exclusive, but to choose one; doing the right thing.

Doing the right things is doing things right.

Thank you duffsmom, I agree, but often disagree with actions of others, because the choice they make is harmful to others.

5. AM Hanson profile image77
    AM Hansonposted 5 years ago

it's just as important to do things right as it is to do the right things.  You can do the right things but mess it up so horribly that it ends up being the absolute farthest thing from the "right thing."  In the end, I would argue that doing things right can be better than always doing the right thing, because if you do it right, you can be more effective and respected/trusted, which will allow you for more opportunities to do the right things....but hopefully you do the right things right whenever you can anyways

Thank You AM Hanson, I agree ther is a mix and maybe a balance that can be achieved.

6. InCourage profile image59
    InCourageposted 5 years ago

We can do both and neither... and do them at the same time. 

The key is understanding that Right is going to be perceived differently by others... and performance is going to be measured differently as well.

So in the end we do the best we can, the best we can and hope that it was good.

Thank You InCourage.......A I think your screen name says it all...Incourage! We all have a bit of the Lion in us.

7. Catherine Kane profile image83
    Catherine Kaneposted 5 years ago

doing the right thing.

Doing things right would say that there's only one correct way to do things. Often not true.

Doing the right thing implies that you're being ethical; and you can do things correctly ("right") without doing them ethically.

Ethics are what creates a life you can live with

working