Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (21 posts)
  1. mayank147 profile image59
    mayank147posted 10 years ago

Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?

Now a days there is a very common thing which is called compromise but some peoples worried about the thing they do and some peoples do the right thing with lots of hard work.........

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8243052_f260.jpg

2. Emanate Presence profile image71
    Emanate Presenceposted 10 years ago

Dear mayank147,

Worry is never useful. Neither, in my worldview, is there a 'right thing.'

There is nothing 'wrong' with your question, yet there are other ways of looking at it.

As a Christian fundamentalist, I had a worldview of black and white, right and wrong.

That changed. Longer story.

Now, I enjoy Being in the midst of Doing. It is not What I am doing, but How I am doing it. Doing, with a quality of attention and presence, is the way I choose.

Generally, being present and feeling who I am, not getting lost in the outer stimuli of the world, is more essential than the What of what I am doing.

I prefer language that integrates, that considers the whole, rather than language that pits one against the other. So rather than say 'right thing', placing false importance on a subjective value, I ask, 'What is the way that is most useful in the whole picture, for the advancement or evolution of people and the planet?'

Even responding to HubPages questions sometimes feels 'not the right thing' for me, that is, it is not useful. That is such as when I start trying to make a point. Points are made by the ego. Giving in to the behaviors of the ego is not useful for advancement, for personal development. Or I may write something out of emotional reaction. Then, it can be useful to me to see it and correct it in myself. It was not 'wrong', but off-course. And the learning is in seeing it neutrally, without self-judgment, and resolving to be more aware the next time.

Hard work is to me a false value. Here is a true story. Kati and I started a position as caregivers in a home for elderly people in San Diego. The owner, a man from Eastern Europe, told us about working for an employer in NYC who came from a hard-nosed tradition. Our employer's employer expected him to carry a piano up a flight of stairs by himself. I could see by the strain in his face that it was still a painful memory. He injured himself while fulfilling the demand, and had some pride in himself for doing so, but the underlying pain I felt in him was that his boss had no empathy, no understanding or caring for him. His work ethic had made him a prisoner of a sick system. I would prefer to see people feel their self worth and stand up for a balanced view.

Does this make any sense to you?

1. Emanate Presence profile image71
      Emanate Presenceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Seeing answers below, I add that at the same employer above we were told to do things  we didn't feel well with. Not dualistic 'wrong', but disharmonious. Unnatural in our eyes. We stood up for the residents, for what some would say was 'right.'

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

For me, the answer is both. I don't think the two can be separated - at least not for me. I feel compelled to do the right things, whether that's scheduling the work which needs to be done (the most important first) or morally (should I be doing something in the first place). Once I make the decision to do something, I want to do it the right way. I want the job done right the first time and, morally, I won't try to accomplish the task in a way which is wrong according to my belief system.

1. Laura Schneider profile image84
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh, sheilamyers, if only there were more people in the world like you: superheroes, in my mind: people of quality who enrich the world. Cheers!

4. BlissfulWriter profile image71
    BlissfulWriterposted 10 years ago

It is always better to do the right thing.  The intention is the what matters.   Whether you do the task perfectly or not is of little concern as long as you try your best.

It is better to do the right thing and not get it perfect, than to do the wrong thing perfectly.  You can quote me on that.

BlissfulWriter, I respectfully disagree with the part of your statement, "It is better to do the right thing and not get it perfect." To say "I tried" is to say "I failed" in many real-world cases. The Shuttle Challenger is one macabre example.

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

I would say both. There is an old saying "There is never enough time to do something right, but there is always enough time to fix what has been done wrong."

Haha! Classic, J.T. (And we know THAT saying is always right. :-) )

6. AMAZING THINKER profile image61
    AMAZING THINKERposted 10 years ago

Doing the right things.
    Everyone does mistakes, we learn from our mistakes, if you worry about making mistakes you will never learn.
    Do the right things and try giving your best effort at everything.
    P.S
    If your problem has a solution you don't have to worry about it, if your problem does not have a solution worrying isn't going to help.

7. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 10 years ago

I always aim to do things, but I also - and without a lot of effort or struggle about what's "right or wrong" - do the right thing.  Other people who don't know all the not-so-obvious factors that go into my choices when it comes to doing what is right may not see why, or even that, my choice is a matter of doing the right thing.  (Or, as I think of ithem when I've been judged by someone who thinks he knows better what's right, or what's right for me, than I do; "people who don't know their bottoms from their elbows when it comes to what is right for me, for my family and/or in my own situation.   LOL  )

In other words, I am to do things right and most of the time I've always aimed to do the right thing. 

The only real problem I've run into with doing the right thing has been when I've made a choice based on the information I have available at the time, and either later discovered more information; or else had the circumstances change and as a result amount to my earlier efforts to do the right thing turn out not to have been the right thing after all.

I really think most people (who haven't been damaged to the point where they're no longer "normal people")  try very much to always do the right thing.  Being able to do things right can be a little more of a challenge for a lot of people.

I should add, though, that my measure of "right" is always about my own inner compass, and only frequently about a set of rules that a lot of people learn to follow blindly and yet see in black-and-white,  and without regard for their own inner compass.

8. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

Good question! Well, I trust myself enough to know what's the right thing to do and that I want to do it the right way, so I'm more focused on doing things right no matter how hard it may be to manage or how much extra time it might take.

Now, if we're talking about an assignment or something that has a deadline, meeting that deadline also counts as "doing the right thing"; so, for example, I wouldn't turn in an assignment late but carefully edited 3 times over (for example) or that would be a failure to compromise between the two.

The "right" thing might be following a law of the land (Federal or State), a style guide, an ethical or moral mandate, etc.

Doing the right thing at the right time--that's what I'm all about. So, at this time I'd like to confess that I'm often 3 minutes late for the deadline--putting the finishing touches on things, you know. (As long as that few minutes isn't ultra-critical for some reason, that is.)

9. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

Worried about doing things right. Which is sad. I need to focus on doing the right things before the project even begins.

That's not sad. In some contexts, the military for example or school, you are told exactly what you must do and you only need to execute your orders to the best of your abilities. Ditto in most jobs: the boss is always right about what to do. Cheers!

10. LeslieOutlaw profile image67
    LeslieOutlawposted 10 years ago

Doing the right thing. I have two kids and with them in my life, doing the right thing is more important than ever. I want to set a good example for them and inspire them to "do the right thing" in return.

11. Abby Campbell profile image74
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

I don't really about anything but getting the things done that I need to get done. I have very strong convictions in life, with the things I do and how I do them. When I do them, it just comes naturally. To me, they are the "right" things to do. Though others may not always agree, I can't be worried about what they think about it. I will never be able to please everyone. If I do it one way, someone may not agree. If I do it another way, someone else may not agree. Therefore, I go on my on instincts.

Excellent answer, Abby Campbell! You are SO right on every count. Thanks for commenting practically--we sometimes get very philosophical (at least I do).

12. Toytasting profile image60
    Toytastingposted 10 years ago

Great question ! Well, my answer for this would be "doing the things right". The concept of "Doing the right things" is relative. Some things may be right for but not for you. So, one should make sure that whatever they do, should be done in a right manner.

13. Solaiman Abir profile image53
    Solaiman Abirposted 9 years ago

it would be my deepest wish to do everything right... and give it a thought hundred times... i believ that if a person has the patients to give the work a thought and also take suggestions when he is thinking... he will do almost every work right.. so the main thing is to think the the way through by taking much time and to have various suggestions from the possible or from such experts on that work.. thank you..

14. Penny G profile image61
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

Me, I'm worried about doing the right things the right way at the right time for the right reasons.

15. chaitanyasaivb profile image66
    chaitanyasaivbposted 9 years ago

Sometimes, we have to compromise, understanding the situations. Even, we will find some people, worrying about about the things, they were doing. They will start a work, with lot of interest, But, as far as it goes on, this interest will goes off, and they will start worrying, whether, they were doing it in a right way or not.

The second one, People, who believes in hard work, always tries to give their best, to do right things. It may not be an easy task, to do right, all the time. But, Hard work never fails. Worrying about the things, which we have done in the past is worthless. Because, a second missed, may not come, how hard we tried.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)