jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Is loyalty dead? Is it a good thing?

1. Josak profile image61
    Josakposted 5 years ago

Is loyalty dead? Is it a good thing?

When and where I grew up there were certain social rules one did not break, and certain expectations on a man, most important amongst these was loyalty, there were certain bonds that were never broken no matter what, especially when family, close friends and oaths were concerned,it was fully expected that if a family member or friend killed someone you would help them conceal it, if they were on the run you would shelter them and in a fight even if they were in the wrong you would watch their back, that sort of loyalty is disappearing and I wonder if that is good or bad.

2. Catherine Kane profile image81
    Catherine Kaneposted 5 years ago

Actually, when and where I was growing up, you were expected to be loyal to family and friends, but not to the point of doing things that were illegal or just plain wrong. "Doing the right thing" took precedence over blind loyalty.

That's a good thing. The Nazis followed Hitler out of loyalty and look where that went...

1. Josak profile image61
      Josakposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree to a point but I think certain bonds are unbreakable.

2. Catherine Kane profile image81
      Catherine Kaneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'd say not always.

If your child was a serial murderer, would you let him keep killing people because you were loyal to him, or would you turn him in to stop him?

Loyalty's good, but not when it helps folks do evil things

3. maxoxam41 profile image77
    maxoxam41posted 5 years ago

It is. an interesting question! What would I do in a similar case? Since justice doesn't exist, I would think twice before sending family and friends to death row! Am I loyal? To a certain degree. If a murder was committed, I would weigh the pros and cons. Will I stay rational? That is the question.

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

i don't think it has disappeared at all. i think what has happened is that there is so much going on these days, we just don't notice it as much.

5. John Holden profile image60
    John Holdenposted 5 years ago

Is it really disappearing?  How many murderers do you see handed in by their families? OK, some may slip under the family radar, but many can't possibly go unnoticed by close family and yet  . . .
    When a close family member does give up a murderer it is usually the stuff of head lines along the lines of "how could a mother blah blah blah."
    This degree of loyalty is probably wrong but watching out for family members whether they are in the right or wrong is natural.

6. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

We live in an increasingly statist world, especially in America where the national state is becoming all but totalitarian, limited only by politics. The punishments for defying the state in order to follow a higher ethic are becoming harsher as the drive to eliminate dissent progresses. Concentrating authority, power and wealth in the hands of the political and cultural elite is the only bipartisan work underway in Washington. To preserve western civilization, your own family, your faith, i.e. the most important things in life, you have to decide whether you will goosestep along in the progressively more rigid line dictated by government or make a stand against its advancing fascism. Loyalty to your own is one of those higher values to be weighted in that decision.

I would say it only appears that loyalty is dying. Millions of people are keeping it going in their daily lives. They just don't talk about it. To do so is to court attack from the statists.

7. paul pruel profile image73
    paul pruelposted 5 years ago

I still see that loyalty is still alive. Yes. It is a good thing to enjoy. If someone is loyal to his own, job, company, boss, family and friends etc. - more people will love him and respect him.

working