jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What makes a tattoo a bad thing in Western society?

1. Rodric29 profile image77
    Rodric29posted 5 years ago

What makes a tattoo a bad thing in Western society?

Even in today's society tattoos are frowned upon, why?

2. profile image0
    Chris Hughposted 5 years ago

I think maybe because a lot are poorly done. Also, they are supposed to be a mark of rebellion, but now they are do common that it's a contradiction. Personally, I like them. But not on me.

3. Schatzie Speaks profile image94
    Schatzie Speaksposted 5 years ago

Depends what they are, IMO. If a tattoo is meaningful and unoffensive that's one thing...a friend of mine got her deceased father's signature tattooed on the inside of her wrist. I will argue that that is one awesome tattoo that will never turn into a regret. I can't see many other people saying that it was a bad decision for her to make or that it's hideous/inappropriate, etc either.

But if someone gets a racy sexist/racist/culturist symbol or else one that's just too generic it symbolizes nothing in particular (in which case why have it stuck permanently to your skin?) I wouldn't say that was necessarily a good choice.
    Everyone is entitled to their own decisions, freedom of expression and all that, I'm just saying that not all tattoos will be seen in the same light depending on what they are. A naked chick, swastika, or rose/heart/star is not the same as a tribute to a deceased family member and I think most would agree on that if on nothing else I have said.

4. Catherine Kane profile image81
    Catherine Kaneposted 5 years ago

Actually they're not necessarily. Tatoos are becoming more fashionable

They're just not professional

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

I just do not like them--on men or women. I wonder how they are going to look when those people are 20 or 30 years older. I had a job interview the other day and was told to dress professionally. I am 60. If I would walk in not dressed professionally, they should show me the door. However, the first person to greet me was a young woman with visible tattoos up her left arm. Did not look very professional to me.

I did not get the job.

working