jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is Western society advancing or regressing? Name incidents of either which appl

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

Is Western society advancing or regressing?  Name incidents of either which applies and your remedy

for improving societal ills?

2. Man from Modesto profile image84
    Man from Modestoposted 6 years ago

Society is regressing. The true measure of a society is not the tallest building, as some estimators of human ability tend. Instead, it is the heart of the leaders that measure a society. Leaders direct the ship.

In our nation, the U.S., we see people have migrated from the personal ethic: heart, morality, hard work, professionalism, respect, love and others. Instead, the emphasis is on appearance, the outer, not the inner.

People just want to squeak through their work responsibilities, manipulating others to do their work for them. They concentrate on appearances, not on reality. The weak inner self creates a weak life. Those who don't shoulder personal responsibility, don't know how to sacrifice, and can't prioritize, seem to diminish and to rely on others increasingly.

Those who respect the heart, focus on their own improvement and their personal ethic seem to attain true friends, find peace, and enjoy life more.

Signs: increase in sexual diseases (immorality); tolerance of wickedness like homosexuality and satanism (now officially recognized and openly allowed in the military); and disrespect for life (abortion, baby murder, is called "pro-choice").

3. KiandraRutledge profile image68
    KiandraRutledgeposted 6 years ago

In the sense of modern technology, I would say we have advanced.  Medically we have both advanced and regress.  True we can treat disorders, diseases now that might have killed some years ago, but we're regressing in the sense that we are generating pills for every conceivable problem instead of educating people how to take care of themselves without the use of pills.  Also we are regressing morally which is hurting us socially.

4. Karen Graham profile image60
    Karen Grahamposted 6 years ago

I am going to go with Kiandra and Man from Modesto on this answer. I agree that western society is indeed regressing, partly for the reasons already mentioned and simply because we have almost reached the pinnacle of power, in the world at large, anyway. As a people, we have regressed rather quickly in the last 50 years. I say this, knowing I am part of the generation I am talking about. But, we had a darn good chance to truly change things for the better.

We protested the reasoning of trying to fight a war that was destined to not be won, we rebelled against the 'talking out of the side of your mouth' rhetoric that was being spewed by our leaders, and we said we could do 'it' better, no matter what it was. The sad thing is that we haven't done better. As one of you said, we have almost no moral code at all. And Kiandra is so correct talking about our pill for a cure-all way of coping with life. We are a rude bunch of people, thinking mostly of ourselves first, and others only when it is in our best interests.

One of the greatest empires the world has ever known was the Roman empire, and look what happened to them, and remember why it happened. The empire began to decay, from within.

working