jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Has our hate and love been molded by our parents?

1. cruelkindness profile image73
    cruelkindnessposted 5 years ago

Has our hate and love been molded by our parents?

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

Absolutely!  No one is born hating or loving anything or anyone!  Both of those are learned/taught emotions.

3. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

Initially, yes. But there are two key points. First of all, we are not truly molded. Even as young children, even before we can speak, we are making choices that become habits. But our choices are limited to imitation or reaction to what we see around us.

As we grow, if we are open, we discover, literally, a world of possibilities. Then it is time to reshape ourselves. Stephen Covey calls in rescripting - rewriting the scripts of our conditioning. If we've been molded, though, we may have to completely melt ourselves down to re-form ourselves into the people we want to be.

Stephen Levine calls this work of spiritual transformation "the healing we were born for."

1. Attikos profile image80
      Attikosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

After your response, I don't need to write one. Good job!

2. Express10 profile image87
      Express10posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am in complete agreement with Attikos. Thanks SidKemp.

4. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 5 years ago

In the sense that you hate the same things as them, or that your mother and father teach you how to love and hate?

On both, the answer is no. I found emotions through school and talking with other people, I've never had anything but love and happiness with my family, exploring other emotions came from the outside world.

5. phillippeengel profile image79
    phillippeengelposted 5 years ago

Hate and love cannot be taught. It is not a skill just like mathematics, physics and chemistry. They are not teachable, quantified and tested in exams. A parent's behavior may in some ways influence a child, but so do their friends. Ultimately, a person's character is molded most effectively by oneself. Their destiny in their own hands.