jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think there is an associated stigma for welfare/foodstamps/WIC recipients

1. breathe2travel profile image81
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

Do you think there is an associated stigma for welfare/foodstamps/WIC recipients?

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

There is, but there should not be. A few people abuse these programs and that cast a stigma on all people. Someone could be dress very nicely. The wife could be wearing  diamond ring. The car could be fairly new and the husband could be out of work, with two children at home and they are going through their savings, selling assets and doing everything possible to survive. Keeping the diamond ring, which may be a family heirloom may be the last resort. They could need welfare assistance or food stamps until they are back on their feet..

3. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

I agree with Larry-- there is but there should not be.

First, while I don't know if all states are the same, people here who are "on welfare" are required to either be actively looking for a job, in a job-training program, or attending school. 

Second, plenty of people who receive food stamps are gainfully-employed.

4. Laci Ledbetter profile image38
    Laci Ledbetterposted 5 years ago

I personally receive food stamps.  I am a single mother of 3 and do not receive child support for my children.  I am currently going to school so I can provide the life for them that they deserve.  It's so funny because I have no income other than school loans, but having a clean, well dressed family is important to me.  I certainly don't want to raise my children to think that taking care of yourself isn't important.  So, obviously, this question is always somewhat on my mind when I go to get groceries.. or even to use WIC.  What do people think?  Because I'm dressed nice, because my kids are dressed nice... that maybe I'm abusing the system?  What if they think the opposite?  What if they think that I'm lazy and I'm just one of those single Moms who, instead of doing something to make a life for my kids, just lets society take care of me.  I've been a single Mom for 10 years... and up until a year ago, when I left my job to go back to school, *I* have provided for my family. I have always had a job and paid my taxes and did my civic duty.  Why should I care what others think?!  This question frustrates me, only because there IS a stigma and it's NOT fair.    *Steps off soap box*