jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)

What comes to mind when you hear the words 'typical Australian'?

1. WebsiteConfetti profile image66
    WebsiteConfettiposted 5 years ago

What comes to mind when you hear the words 'typical Australian'?

I'm doing research for a paper as to what people perceive to be a typical Australian? Im curious to know what hubbers from all over the globe think a typical Australian is really like?   Please comment on which country you are from. Thanks

2. Bob Zermop profile image90
    Bob Zermopposted 5 years ago

As an American, gonna say from the few Australians I've met that they'd be chill, easy-going, and friendly. Really don't know any Australians well, except for one friend who's 3rd generation. Hope to go there personally someday and find out!

3. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Based on my experiences with Australians in the 70s when I was at university, it would be easy to answer - 'Dame Edna or especially LesPatterson'. However, that ignores all the 'normal' Australians who are, like the rest of us everywhere, just struggling to live their lives.  I don' believe there we can make typical any nationality.

4. LaThing profile image73
    LaThingposted 5 years ago

Unfortunately, I have not met any true Australian. Only in hubpages:)
    So the first thing that comes into mind is "Crocodile Dundee" .... lol

5. JohnGreasyGamer profile image85
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 5 years ago

You mean "racism and stereotypical judgements"? Well, I'm an avid player of Team Fortress 2 and the Australian Sniper class. So I often think, "Kangaroo wife", "Jarate (the jar-based karate for the man on the go)", "Fosters (like that good call centre which I hate)" and "G'day".

I'm from Great England. I don't call it Britain because everybody TL;DRs the nation as English.

6. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

What comes to my mind is a fun loving, hard working person who enjoys an ice cold beer once in awhile.  Also, when I think of Australians I feel as though the men are very masculine and the women beautiful and feminine.

7. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 5 years ago

When I hear the words "typical Australian," the first thing that comes to mind is a real cool and very hospitable person.

I feel that way because back in the late 1960s when I was stationed in Vietnam as a U.S. Army combat infantry soldier, the unit positioned next to mine was an Australian mechanized-infantry unit. And the men in that unit were some of the most courageous, honorable, unselfish, and fun-loving individuals I had ever known.

And some of them talked me into visiting Sydney -- which I did -- and the eight days I spent in that terrific city were eight of the best days of my life. I had a real good time that I will never forget.

8. eternals3ptember profile image61
    eternals3ptemberposted 5 years ago

Easy going
    Able to withstand Vegemite, curry
    Divided over Tasmanian logging
    What's going on in Adelaide?

9. profile image55
    BioThreatposted 5 years ago

Here is what I think in my imagination: I think of a kangaroo saying " 'ello mate!".

in reality though, my friend who is Australian is caucasian with blond, somewhat flowy hair, and is a guy...
    As well, I personally think of them as crazy people:
    *Jump from high places, jump in cages with 13 feet long crocodiles, etc.*

10. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

How to speak Australian'? Shrimp on the barbie.  smile

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I've not had the pleasure of knowing any any Australians. But, From what I gather they are Great people and a great ally. I'm an American. I didn't intend to offend anyone. I was simply referring to the commercials for Fosters.

2. LaThing profile image73
      LaThingposted 5 years agoin reply to this

lol, JThomp, that's a good one! Barbie being a barbecue.... Correct me if I am wrong,..... Aussie friends??

11. yoginijoy profile image71
    yoginijoyposted 5 years ago

Of course, someone who looks extremely handsome like Wolverine...Hugh Jackman! Also, he would have a cute accent, live in the bush and have a wallaby for a pet!  From USA.