What comes in your mind when you hear the word Islam or Muslim?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Wissam Qawasmeh profile image60
    Wissam Qawasmehposted 8 years ago

What comes in your mind when you hear the word Islam or Muslim?

And Why?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12636797_f260.jpg

2. anweshablogs profile image70
    anweshablogsposted 8 years ago

A fitting reply to the human race, and nature's revenge.

What humans are doing to other animals and the mother nature, somewhere it has to come back to them and show how brutal they are. Who else other than human themselves can do such a thing? After all, no one can beat humans in brutality. So, Islam is a system showing unconventional brutality against conventional brutality of human race.

Wissam Qawasmehposted 8 years agoin reply to this

But seek, through that which Allah has given you, the home of the Hereafter; and [yet], do not forget your share of the world. And do good as Allah has done good to you. And desire not corruption in the land. Indeed, Allah does not like corrupters."

3. Oztinato profile image75
    Oztinatoposted 8 years ago

A sacred powerful religion that contributed to modern tech by carrying ancient Greek manuscripts and advancing them further.

1. Glenis Rix profile image96
      Glenis Rixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I imagine you are referring to the Islamic translations into Arabic of Greek medical documents and the subsequent gradual improvements in current knowledge and practices. n.b. references to Greek gods were routinely deleted and replaced by Allah.

4. Glenis Rix profile image96
    Glenis Rixposted 8 years ago

What comes to my mind is that I am tired of hearing about religion, which historically has been the case of brutal wars and suffering - be it Islam or Christianity. People should take responsibility for their actions and stop relying on the totally unproven existence of a life in Heaven after they have stopped making people suffer in this life. Try Humanism as a peaceful and caring alternative.

1. Misfit Chick profile image76
      Misfit Chickposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well said. John Lennon's song, "Imagine" said it best: "Imagine there's no heaven"... How much different would we be and how different would this world be if there were no imaginary commands coming from God or Allah? What if we ALL knew the truth? wink

2. Wissam Qawasmeh profile image60

I can feel you, but trust me, people are bad not the religion... there's no religion tells us to kill or rape.. but unfortunately, people use religion as political shield

5. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12211669_f260.jpg

A spiritual belief and a human being, a beautiful essence, no more no less. People are people regardless of belief systems.

6. Misfit Chick profile image76
    Misfit Chickposted 8 years ago

This is a great question and one that needs to be asked. I am not picking anyone out at all when I say this; but I think that the first few responses are very typical among many many Americans whether we like to admit it, or not.

They might even be the majority opinion across our beloved melting pot of a country.

Only when Muslims and/or the people of Islam can convince the world that their terrorists, extremists and fanatics are the MINORITY of their societies; and demonstrate the real spiritual power of their peoples... Is when those opinions will start to change. And, it will probably be a really slow change.

For all the 'freedom' bursting at its seams, the US has always been slow to change; and racism & misogyny are in our blood and society as much as any Muslim or Islamic extremist.

Christians disappoint me all the time, as do Agnostics and Atheists. The few Muslims that I have known were nothing but the sweetest of people. The only differences were:

1) Abdi (I am probably not spelling his name right, sorry) left work faithfully at the same time every day to go to the mosk and join in prayers. He was gone for maybe an hour - no big deal, at all.

2) He absolutely would NOT eat pork - of course. But not even 'all beef' hotdogs. He did not trust them and absolutely refused. I had bought them for a company cookout - and I had bought the all beef ones just for him, but no. We ordered him a cheese pizza. smile

3) He was dang hard to understand, ha! Then again, I have a hard time understanding some English speakers. Still, he got a lot of huh's & what's thrown at him. Like I said, he was sweet - he would just smile and repeat himself however many times he needed to. He knew five languages and English was supposedly his fourth best.

He wasn't perfect... It was really weird when he quit his job. He left his wife and little girl for several months; and just seemed like the biggest flake about them. Like he didn't really have a concern in the world for them. But, taking into consideration of how most women within his culture are perceived and treated; I guess that part isn't so unusual in hindsight. I really wouldn't know for sure.

We are all the result of our upbringing. Abdi may have been a little unusual - but only because we weren't used to him, at first. He grew on us and became one of us easily enough.

The kind of healing that needs to happen across cultures and races worldwide isn't impossible - just incredibly snail-like. smile

thank you, Catherine ... you have a cultured beautiful mind..
      about Abdi (or Abd), he's not an angel !! and don't represent Islam properly
      he is not suppose to left his family that long .. few days would be okay
      thanks for stopping by

7. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 8 years ago

I must admit to a negative bias.  Shouldn't be there I know.  It's a matter of how the media perpetually publicises all the shortcomings and none of the virtues of the hundreds of millions of people who follow this faith.

My view on most organized religions, no matter which one it is, it that there is too much attention paid to the dogma, doctrine, rules and regulations, and personal interpretation of written texts often depicted as "God's Law," when no one really knows what God is other than an idea held in our minds.   Show me a zealot in any religion and I will show you bigotry and a closed mind.

great opinion .. thanks for sharing

8. abdussalaam profile image80
    abdussalaamposted 8 years ago

The word ‘Muslim’ depicts in my mind an image of Muhammad (pbuh) in white attire behaving in a manner that is altruistic. I have come to this depiction of a Muslim having studied the psychology of Muhammad (pbuh). I suppose Muhammad (saw) noble character to me is the epitome of a Muslim, hence a role-model that I struggle but strive to follow.

The word ‘Islam’ depicts in my mind a type of philosophy that is either simple or complex determined by your level of knowledge and maturity. I think in others the term ‘Islam’ invokes the image of a threat that is similar to Communism.

I suppose everyone has their opinions and imagination influenced by the type of media, social-interaction, books and environment one is exposed to.

well said, Abdus Salaam 
      may Allah bless you

2. abdussalaam profile image80
      abdussalaamposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Jazak Allah

9. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 8 years ago

ISIS, I am sorry but the news right now is alarming

1. abdussalaam profile image80
      abdussalaamposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yours is an honest opinion for one who has not delved into the text and is judging Islam and Muslims based on what one is seeing and hearing.

2. Misfit Chick profile image76

You have to keep in mind that ISIS is no more about Islam than the Jim Jones Cult was about Christianity. Islam is simply the tool that is being used and it is working. Your fear & hatred is what they want - even from other Muslims, apparently.

10. Freedomwizard profile image63
    Freedomwizardposted 8 years ago

Why do otherwise decent, nice people worship a murderous, bloodthirsty pedophile?
    People should be judged by their hearts, not their beliefs.
    It is the fanatics, who practice what the Koran actually says, that are the world's biggest threat. A peaceful Moslem is not really following his own religion. Moslem women deserve better than the demeaning suppression that they get.
    If Christians and Jews really followed the bible, they would be stoning gay people to death.
    Stupidity is not a crime, but is the reason that unquestioning acceptance of religions has led to most of the wars and suffering on the planet.
    God IS unconditional love, is bigger than any religion, and does not judge or make rules.

1. profile image0
      thegeckoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I thought greed and power led to wars and suffering. Isn't religion the medium, not the cause?

2. Findecano profile image60
      Findecanoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Men of power use religion for their ends, but men follow because of it. Religion is the cause for suffering too.

11. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 8 years ago

What comes to mind is all my Muslim friends. I've never met a nicer and more sincere bunch of people in my life. That's what I think of whenever I hear Muslim or Islam: my personal experiences with them, and what truly amazing perspectives they have.

12. Missy Smith profile image78
    Missy Smithposted 8 years ago

Honestly, I feel fine. I have plenty of Muslim friends, and I continue to make more each day. I don't label them as being bad, that's for sure. I don't listen to the media.

I can also say, I think the religion is very commendable. I listen when my friends talk about their religion, and I have to say, I don't think it's that far off from Christian views. I may get a few negative responses to that, but it's my opinion.

I don't get why everyone is associating the bad guys with the Muslim religion. It's obvious they are making up their own religious views, and it is so sad that the actual Muslims have suffered for their claims on the religion. They have no real connection.

Everyone should close their minds off to the media and get to know one another before judging.

that's what i've been waiting to hear
      you're absolutely right .. i wish everyone thinks as the way you think
      thank you

2. Misfit Chick profile image76

You know, Wissam... I am semi-insulted. I think I did a pretty good job of sticking up for your people; and I pretty much said what she said. Her opinion is not unique among Americans - just FYI. There is MUCH prejudice on all sides of the divisions.

3. Wissam Qawasmeh profile image60

I'm really sorry, Catherine .. I'm just don't have the time right now to comment on each answer .. I appreciate your patience and your great opinion
      please don't feel insulted .. i'm really sorry

4. Missy Smith profile image78
      Missy Smithposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No thanks necessary, it's the truth and how I feel. But you are most welcome Wissam. Many Blessings. smile

5. Misfit Chick profile image76

I am disappointed this question has wound down, already. It should still be going like the Kim Davis question. There is not much in here for peeps to think about - just judgement or judgement of judgements. Much is missing that still needs to be said

13. profile image0
    thegeckoposted 8 years ago

The other Christians! They're all part of the Judaic heritage after all smile

14. profile image52
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

As with other "Religions," I am neither for or against the Islam or Muslim unless it contradicts the Word of God.  Each religion and/or person has a purpose and fulfills a role in human society and in the ultimate - God's Plan.  I am democratic and agree with the consensus approach even though I may not always agree with the majority, especially in "Religion" even in this country! 

In other words, the person - not the "Religion" - makes an impression on me!  However, if/when their belief contradicts the Word of God, I will obey GOD and remind ALL of what He has said.

Matthew 7:16 says "Ye shall know them (ALL) by their fruits..."

(Thanks Abdus!)

15. sharath999 profile image61
    sharath999posted 8 years ago

Peace

Love

A Religion

5 Times Namaz

Roza

16. RJ Schwartz profile image87
    RJ Schwartzposted 8 years ago

An image of a Middle Eastern dressed person with long flowing robes with a darker skin complexion, men bearded, women entirely covered except their eyes.

17. passionatelearnr profile image86
    passionatelearnrposted 8 years ago

media is involved in distorting the image of muslims and islam.there are as many muslim extremists as there are hindu or christian extremists.muslims are no worse.

18. LindaSarhan profile image91
    LindaSarhanposted 8 years ago

What comes to mind when I hear the word Islam or Muslim? Oh where to start? big_smile  But for a short response:

“Ashadu anla ilaha illa lah wa ashadu anna Muhammadan rasoolulah.”

(I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allah and I bear witness that Muhammad is his servant and messenger.)

But then again, I am an Islamic writer for a reason. big_smile

Salam.

19. Taopi profile image60
    Taopiposted 8 years ago

I tend to gravitate toward the poetic and the mystical, and when I think of Islam I think of Sufism and the poet seers, Rumi, Hafiz, Kabir and Omar Khayyam. 

I do this with all theologies and philosophies.  It's just the way my brain works, or my spirit works or whatever essence inside works.  From William Blake to Rabindranath Tagore; from St. John of the Cross to Mary Oliver.  From Kahlil Gibran to Lao Tzu to Thomas Merton.  Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Naturalism...I am drawn to the mystics and poets within them all.  It is there I find the soul of things.  In Shakespeare, too, and this is my heartfelt response to the question.

20. profile image53
    rizki18041999posted 6 years ago

I would like to point out that islam is a religion that teach us to be tolerance to everyone . We can find that in surah Al Baqarah 256 and Al kafiruun 6 .
    In Al baqarah Allah said "There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong. So whoever disbelieves in Taghut and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy handhold with no break in it. And Allah is Hearing and Knowing." And in surah Al Kafiruun point 6 Allah said "For you is your religion, and for me is my religion."

21. kamrul_wre profile image62
    kamrul_wreposted 6 years ago

Muslims are defeated, lost their land, their chieldren are refugees, nation in despair, perverted by the fanatic mullahs and as a whole lost the right path.

22. celafoe profile image54
    celafoeposted 6 years ago

agent of their god satan the devil the antichrist, evil personified, liars.
    Makes me remember their life work is to convert all to satan or to kill them    so contrary to God and His ways of loving all whether they accept Him or not and giving them til the end of their life to make up their mind who they will save and reward them according to their desires.    Eternal life with Jesus for those that follow Him and into the lake of fire with their savior if they follow satan

23. profile image51
    Safadsouzaposted 6 years ago

Islam is peace,love,equality,justice and above all its a way of life.Islam is the perfect way of life because its from the one who created life.

1. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

what book do you follow?   certainly not the satanic koran.    Nothing you mention is part of islam.   But it is ALL the lies you want us to believe.

24. Guckenberger profile image84
    Guckenbergerposted 6 years ago

I think "la ilaha ilAllah!" Absolute monotheist also comes to mind.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)