Is democracy the best way to rule a country?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. ronaknky profile image61
    ronaknkyposted 12 years ago

Is democracy the best way to rule a country?

2. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

to "rule" no matter how will never be the best way. what a country needs in equality for all. not different classes like rich and poor but everyone making the same and reaping all the benefits.

1. profile image0
      screamingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@nightwork4, I agree with you. Would make for a better living environment for all!

2. ronaknky profile image61
      ronaknkyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@nightwork4,you are right. any form of government which provides equality for all is sufficient. But my main agenda here is which type of system will provide this.

3. Reality Bytes profile image71
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you searching for equality in opportunities or equality in results?

4. ronaknky profile image61

equality in opportunities. Equality in results depends on the working of the individual or the company. The main aim of the govt. should be to provide the same opportunity for all.

3. Attikos profile image83
    Attikosposted 12 years ago

The tyranny of the majority is the worst tyranny of all. That's why the US was established as a constitutional republic with strictly limited authority, not as a democracy.

Nothing has changed in that. That democracy per se is a horrid form of government has been recognized since at latest the Greek city-states.

1. Sheepsquatch profile image64
      Sheepsquatchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Democracy is meant for very small groups of people. It works fine in areas where if you disagree you can leave the group.

4. Sheepsquatch profile image64
    Sheepsquatchposted 12 years ago

The only possible way to provide the same opportunities for all is to take away almost all opportunity. A huge limit on choices and rights would have to be enforced. Idealistically people want everyone to have it better, but in reality having a system that was completely equal for everything would make life much worse. I believe people already have the opportunity in America to get the bare necessities, but I wouldn't want to have that as my only opportunity.

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 12 years ago

I find the question confusing as well as some of the replies--not faulting anyone--just my understanding. We have a democratic republic or a representative form of government. It may not be the best, but no one has offered a system that would be better. I did see one mention of communism--from each according to his ability to each according to his needs. That could turn into a welfare state in time.

I saw a reference to equal opportunity. I agree everyone should have an equal opportunity to work and earn a living, but is being proposed that brain surgeons be paid on the same level as trash collectors.

I am a real Star Trek fan (stay with me) in The Next Generation series they often make reference amount the elimination of money, but they never explain what system of trade of commerce is used.

I guess I will conclude by saying, our system of government is not perfect and it has its ups and downs, but show me a system that is better and would be capable of handling the demands of a nation this size with its massive population and provide the defense it needs to keep other nations from invading. Trust me, if we did not have our current system of defense, some country or countries would be invading.

I will stick with what we have and hope we can make it better and we can start by cleaning up the rules used in the House and Senate for earmarks, to block nominations and to bury good bills.

1. ronaknky profile image61

I agree with you that no system comes with flaws. After seeing other answers(not to offend anyone), I feel people are not happy with what they have. Those living in democracy are tired of corruption while in others of not even getting any moral right

2. Catherine Kane profile image80
      Catherine Kaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know that people are saying that they're unhappy w/ democracy. Corruption can happen in any system (look at communist Russia for instance) and one can dislie corruption without disliking the system

No one likes corruption except the corrupt

3. ronaknky profile image61

nobody likes corruption untill they get a chance to do it. I have seen many people when unsuccessful gave long speeches on how corruption has failed them, but when in power they forget everthing.

6. Catherine Kane profile image80
    Catherine Kaneposted 12 years ago

I'd say it's not a good system to "rule" a country, but it's a fine one to "run" one

Keep in mind that, because human beings come in a wide range of behaviors, any system will have flaws and no system will be perfect- and that's o.k!

7. ronaknky profile image61
    ronaknkyposted 12 years ago

Wrote an article on the same topic. You can read and leave your comments there.

http://ronaknky.blogspot.in/2012/06/is- … untry.html

8. Vegas Elias profile image60
    Vegas Eliasposted 12 years ago

Democracy is the best way to 'run' a country. As far as ruling a country is concerned democracies are know to be very unruly and chaotic. Democracy is definitely not the best way to rule a country.
    However the days of 'rulers' and despots are long over except in some countries in the Middle East. Hence the question of ruing a country does not arise.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)