jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Should government ban smoking and do they have a right to make choices for us?

1. Academicviews profile image86
    Academicviewsposted 5 years ago

Should government ban smoking and do they have a right to make choices for us?

Considering how much it costs treating smoking related illnesses should we ban it? Also if not then should they legalise "soft" drugs and regulate their quality? Can they have it both ways or is tax revenue more important?

2. dpsimswm profile image61
    dpsimswmposted 5 years ago

Some states have bans against smoking in public.  This means no smoking in restaurants or buildings.  This ensures that people won't be exposed to second-hand smoke.  If people want to smoke, it will simply raise the cost of their insurance, or eat up their savings when they get sick.

3. Cobrafan profile image78
    Cobrafanposted 5 years ago

1. Smoking should not be banned. If it is, we should also ban alcohol, candy, trans fats, fast food, household cleaning chemicals, medications, and basically anything else we can harm ourselves with.

2. The only soft drug that needs to be legalized and taxes is marijuana. The money saved and made would blow your mind.

3. I'm not sure what you mean by them having it both ways, but the government is making a killing on tax revenue from tobacco since they keep jacking up the taxes on them every chance they get.

Academicviewsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

To respond to point 3, I meant, that in UK, the government makes a fortune by taxing cigarettes and alcohol makes and significant contribution to the economy, even though both are detrimental to health. Considering how much resources are spent on the

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

smoking in public places such as stores, malls etc., makes sense but that's about it. if they ban smoking, there are many other things that should also be banned.

Academicviewsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree there does seem hypocrisy or contradiction here doesn’t there? I think in these troubled economic times we have a right to ask why so much of our taxes are spent on the “war on drugs” which they seem not to be winning, also why we tolerat

working