jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Stopped for Shoplifting.

1. profile image48
    innocentoneposted 5 years ago

Stopped for Shoplifting.

I was shopping at my neighborhood Walmart, spent over $200 as usual and was shocked when I was stopped outside there door for shoplifting. I had been putting my sweatshirt off and on due to being hot so this security pesron said he saw me put something up my sleeve. I willingly took my jacket off and showed him he was wrong. He saisd he could show me on tape, I said to him "please, take me in and show me,he then just let me go.I was shocked because I did not take anything, I am really uncomfortable to go there again, can they cause me any trouble, can they bug me or stop me?

2. point2make profile image82
    point2makeposted 5 years ago

What you should do is report this security person to, first, the store management and then to Walmart's head office. What the person did is wrong and illegal and his actions should be reported. You are the customer, you didn't do anything wrong and you shouldn't punish yourself for.........being innocent. Report the security person then either move on to another retailer or return to that particular Walmart and resume your shopping with your head held high and a smile on your face!

3. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

First of all, all security guards are idiots. Just accept that. They are scum of the earth.

Second, retailers lose millions every year to shoplifters. It's a big enough problem that it's best to assume you're always being watched in a store. Any baggy clothes or behavior that makes you look suspicious will draw attention to you. But to answer your question, no one has legal authority to search you, touch you, or make you go into a surveillance room and watch a video or anything like that. These aren't law-enforcement officials--they're storekeepers.

A security guard has two functions: 1) protect people who are being attacked in the store or parking lot and 2) man the security cameras to see if anyone is shoplifting or committing a crime. They have no authority to enforce laws, prevent crime, or grab you or hold you. But as private citizens in or out of uniform, the store employees and security guards do have the right to grab you and harass you. It's still a free country. But there is a difference between having the right to do something and having some authority to do it. Cops have authority while shopkeepers and guards have the same rights as you or me. If you caught a guest stealing in your house, would you grab them and hold them until they gave it back? You aren't a cop, but this is the same concept as at the store. It's like a sort of street justice. If someone steals, the store can always notify the police and press charges if they want.

4. rockinjoe profile image95
    rockinjoeposted 5 years ago

Sorry I missed this one. If you haven't contacted the store yet call an attorney, first and he/she will let you know your options. What the employee who stopped you did (besides embarrass and humiliate you) was to open Walmart up to (possibly) a major liability.

Stopping an innocent party and accusing that party (and customer) of shoplifting means the employee didn't have all his i's dotted and t's crossed when he stopped you. Furthermore, he lied to you when he told you the incident was on tape. You called his bluff. Good for you.

If a lawyer won't take your case (they will usually do so for free, depending on what they think they could get you in compensation) , call the store and ask for a phone number for the district and regional managers. (both LP and operations)  They will get the ball rolling. Tell them everything that happened and include details, such as, the store you were shopping in, the time of day, the item you were accused of stealing, what you purchased (if anything) in the store that day, and exactly what the LP said to you. I guarantee they will get the ball rolling.

Let them know how you feel. Tell them how the incident makes you feel. You'd obviously be uncomfortable returning to that store again.  Let them know,

Two things the big chains like Walmart are extremely aware, are customer service and liability. The only way they can make this situation right for you, is for you to let them know about it.

Good luck.

They may offer you a gift card. It's your choice to accept it (you will probably have to sign off on any further liability) , or you may decide then to let an attorney look at your situation.