jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is the best way to stop biting nails?

1. rajan jolly profile image88
    rajan jollyposted 5 years ago

What is the best way to stop biting nails?

2. nmdonders profile image85
    nmdondersposted 5 years ago

They have a nail polish type substance that you paint on and it makes it taste aweful so you don't want to bite your nails.  It also just takes practice just like breaking a lot of habits.  You have to keep stopping yourself from doing it and eventually you will stop.

3. LongTimeMother profile image95
    LongTimeMotherposted 5 years ago

Aloe vera fresh from the plant. Just inside the skin is an awful tasting substance that is usually washed away if you want to eat or drink the aloe flesh. Wipe your nails with the juice from a piece of aloe vera. It is good for your fingers and nails, and will make putting your fingers in your mouth very unappealing.

4. dhannyya profile image81
    dhannyyaposted 5 years ago

cut nails close to the flesh..then reduce stress...when you experience some stressful time hold both hands together..push away the temptation to bite nails

5. m0rd0r profile image71
    m0rd0rposted 5 years ago

I made my brother quit with a simple infusion with very (I mean VERY) hot peppers.

It is quite simple. Few dried red hot peppers are ground in a mortar and boiled in a cup of water until half of it evaporates.

The resulting infusion is dipped with a pipette on the nail tips and if possible, under the nails too.

A pair of glasses were needed, because my brother touched his eye accidentally once and was cursing me like a witch.

Worked just fine though.

Each time my bro bit his nails, the red pepper was biting his tongue in response.

We did this for one week and he quit.

The only downside is - each time you wash your hands, the infusion needs to be reapplied.

6. dinkan53 profile image76
    dinkan53posted 5 years ago

Commonly seen as a stress-relieving habit. Those who are trying to get rid of this habit fail because the methods they have tried don't work or are too hard to use so they stop trying. The first thing one has to do is to keep your hands occupied. Hypnotherapy is getting popular for this habit as it is shown to give better results. Caring properly (regular manicure), giving proper attention is also seems to give positive results. Chewing sugarless gum can keep the teeth busy, as the sensation of chewing can relieve stress in some people. Giving up this habit is not so easier and a strong will power is also needed to put an end to this nasty habit.

working