jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

How can I stop biting my nails?

1. thefedorows profile image81
    thefedorowsposted 3 years ago

How can I stop biting my nails?

It is a disgusting habit and I have struggled with it all my life.  When I was younger, I tried using bitter nail polish, but it was not effective for me.  I also tried chewing gum, which was sometimes helpful.  But I often bite my nails without realizing it.  Help!  Has anyone overcome this bad habit? Please share!

2. be grateful profile image61
    be gratefulposted 3 years ago

mind over matter.  when you "feel the urge" control your mind to not give in.  distract yourself.  this will be a training process for you until you no longer experience mental anguish over wanting to "dig right in".  this technique will feel nearly impossible at first, but with time "practice makes perfect"

p.s.  as a Woman you will be much more attractive and feminine with clean manicured nails.  Your husband will enjoy this, especially, if you spruce your lovelies up from time to time with a ruby red or any available color of the nail polish spectrum.

nail-biting is a repulsive habit and you seem like a lovely lady

thefedorowsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I like your profile name smile.  My husband gives me the same advice...I will be working on sharpening my mind!

2. profile image0
      Dave36posted 3 years agoin reply to this

If you want to sharpen your mind you should learn mindful meditating, & emotions/feelings control..(All on utube & free to watch)..Try Eckhart Tolle for a starter: You might enjoy Oprah Winfreys Soul Series with Eckhart Tolle..6 x 1 hr vids.

3. thefedorows profile image81

Thank you, dave36.

3. sangre profile image97
    sangreposted 3 years ago

I think everyone of us does it when where young. I think when you're stressed, have nothing to do or just generally have some idle time on your hands (usually in the evening) then the habit starts up and before you know it your biting them.

If you find something that will keep your hands busy when you have free time, then eventually you'll stop going near them. Try reading or knitting or doing some other type of activity. It might take a week or two for you to get out of the habit, but it will happen.

So true!  I do catch myself more in the evenings.  Thank you for your encouragement!

4. Jasmeetk profile image84
    Jasmeetkposted 3 years ago

You can check this link on how to stop biting your nails. I think it will be helpful to you: http://bombasticnailart.blogspot.com/p/ … nails.html

Thank you for the link, Jasmeetk.  So the three tips I read were:
      1. Sitting on hands
      2. Wear gloves
      3. Snap a rubberband on your wrist
      I will try the glove idea.  Thank you.

working