jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Can socialized health and a capitalist mode of economy go together?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image77
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

Can socialized health and a capitalist mode of economy go together?

Can a capitalist economy be successful in the implementation of a socialized health scheme? This is a question in relation to the US Health Reform Act which was sealed by the Supreme Court of the US. The stakeholders like doctors, hospitals and insurance companies want profit? On the other side the people want affordable health care.

2. Josak profile image59
    Josakposted 5 years ago

Absolutely can and in fact does in dozens of countries around the world.

3. Dr Billy Kidd profile image91
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 5 years ago

I do not know what socialized health care is. If you're referring to government run programs within capitalist economies, then it has worked fine in 35 countries who do it better than us.

4. ledefensetech profile image71
    ledefensetechposted 5 years ago

So why do so many people from nations with socialized healthcare tend to engage in what is known as "medical tourism" because they have to wait so long to get procedures approved in their homeland?  Lucky for me I have relatives across the border who are doctors, so what politicians do to destroy healthcare in this nation doesn't really have too much of an affect on me.  I worry about the people who are going to be dying in the streets as their claims are denied, as they are routinely in Europe.  Rejoice while you can, at least until the affordable healthcare act destroys the healthcare industry in this country.

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image91
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what you are talking about. People in Europe are much healthier than Americans. It's Americans who do the medical tourism...people like you.

2. ledefensetech profile image71
      ledefensetechposted 5 years agoin reply to this

They're healthier than Americans because of diet not because of their socialized healthcae.  In 2006 60,000 people from the UK elected to utilize medical tourism. So no it's not just Americans, you just don't know what you're talking about.

5. d.william profile image61
    d.williamposted 5 years ago

good question. No need to get testy with each other.  All the comments are correct but only in particular instances.  Many other countries are more advanced than the U.S. in health care as well as most other fields.  Some countries enjoy a form of social health care and are democratic in politics.  Others have only one health care provider (private) and that seems to work well for them.  The U.S. has the worst overall health care system, and the cost to the consumer/american people is double to triple that of other countries. 
    It would be best for us to look at what other countries are doing, and use the best of each of them to create a fair and equitable health care system in this country.
    Countries, such as Taiwan and Japan, and others who overhauled their health care systems are working well for the people.  Because of these changes, their overall health is better than the U.S..  Oddly enough, when they were asked how they came up with these innovative ideas for healthcare reform, they all said the same thing:  They reviewed other country's health care plans and created one that best suited themselves.  Every single one of them, said that the U.S. health care system was excluded from their comparisons because it has the worst health care in the world.
    Politics and infighting in our congress has ruined just about everything in this country, and there seems to be no relief in sight.

working