jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Why do drug cartels lobby for drug laws?

1. SportsBetter profile image78
    SportsBetterposted 5 years ago

Why do drug cartels lobby for drug laws?

2. lostdogrwd profile image60
    lostdogrwdposted 5 years ago

to keep the prices high on the dope and to stop people from growing there own and making there own dope or I,m sorry drugs. the sad part of this is legal drug (perspiration drug) kill more people than all the illegal drugs combined.

3. backporchstories profile image78
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

It is all about money, money and more money!

4. lone77star profile image85
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

I agree with @lostdogrwd and @backporchstories. But also, they need to keep the back channels to the halls of power well greased so that they keep their influence strong.

These guys don't care about helping people. In fact, they have a fiduciary duty to quash any and every cure that comes down the pike. Cures jeopardize profits. They make their money off of maintaining diseases (not health). Stock holders would eat them alive if they did anything else.

5. Sue St. Clair profile image74
    Sue St. Clairposted 5 years ago

In my mind it is about economics. The suppliers want drug laws in order to shut down the competition. By making the laws stronger, it reduces the competition and increases the prices for their product. The present suppliers have already found ways to circumvent the system. The cartels want a monopoly on the market for their product. The cartels do not want the free market interfering with what they already have in place. They have often spent years piles of dollars investing the infrasctructure by grooming judges, courts, and enforcement officials to favor them. Like any business, they want a return on their investment. Any intruders to their money making enterprise is a threat to the structures they spent years putting into place.

6. Angela Kane profile image78
    Angela Kaneposted 5 years ago

The best answer I can give is that if the drugs are legal then it will mean more money for the cartels. The demand will increase dramatically and they are in the best position to fill it.

1. SportsBetter profile image78
      SportsBetterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Since the drugs are illegal it raises prices and the cartels make more money.  The demand won't increase if they are legal.  The demand is high because they hard to get.  Make drugs legal and regulate by age.  All legal drugs are just as harmful.

working