jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Should we so much as read the campaign propaganda being posted on Hub Pages?

1. Attikos profile image78
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

Should we so much as read the campaign propaganda being posted on Hub Pages?

The partisan poo flingers have gone to work here as the presidential campaign has gone negative. Does it matter? Should the rest of us read their posts? Should we post ourselves in an attempt to counterbalance the content, for the sake of ethics or as a civic duty? On the other hand is it best, all things considered, just to let them be in their echo chambers, fouling their own nest flinging it at one another alone?

2. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 5 years ago

It's the nature of things when an election will determine the leader of the most powerful nation in the free world.

I would think that provocative questions get people to think instead of burying their heads in the sand.

Dodging serious issues and believing lies is what got us into the current mess. We can't blame it all on the leadership when we live in democracies or are trying to create democracies.

1. pagesvoice profile image85
      pagesvoiceposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hallelujah and slap my forehead regarding you excellent answer. The problem is most people react rather than think and that is a sad commentary. We used to be able to debate, but now it is a "You're either with us or against us" mentality.

2. Attikos profile image78
      Attikosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Some of the political Hubs are thoughtful, some humorous. Most pose mud, not provocative questions. No serious issue is dodged there, for they contain meaningless campaign talking points instead. How do we raise the level of discourse?

3. CR Rookwood profile image86
    CR Rookwoodposted 5 years ago

I think arguing politics on the internet is worse than useless because it leaves at least one of the parties (if not all) feeling horrible. No one ever changes his or her mind because someone trolled their political opinion piece on the internet.

I think if you want change you have to leave the house and work for it. It takes forever, it's not sexy, and it's very discouraging. But it has a much better chance of working. In 2006 I volunteered for a local candidate I wanted to go to Washington. It was tedious and people threw food on my car and egged my house. But he won.

Was it worth it, which is to say has he delivered for you?

4. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

One person's propaganda may be another person's truth.

Why not read it? If it seems shallow or biased, then -- with love -- ask probing questions to illuminate the issues.

Many of us all want the same things, but are unaware of the lies that distort our perception of issues. All it takes is to shine a light on the true issues and some people wake up. Heck! It happened to me. For nearly a decade, I bought into the Bush "conspiracy theory" concerning Osama being behind 9/11. Now, I know that it was an inside job, though we still don't have enough evidence to put the real culprits behind bars or hanged for treason.

Personally, I'd be for an amendment to the Constitution outlawing presidential pardons for treasonous acts.

The reason I get tired of it is that propaganda is no one's truth, it's drivel, and a great deal of it has been posted lately. Yes, some people are good at believing their own lies, but that doesn't turn them into truths.

5. daskittlez69 profile image75
    daskittlez69posted 5 years ago

At one time there was a lot of good political tennis Hubs on this site.  But lately it seems that Hubs are going up with no fact to them at all.  Just campaign propaganda "drivel" as Attikos said.