Have you ever been discriminated against due to your gender at work?

1. ThompsonPen profile image79
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

Have you ever been discriminated against due to your gender at work?

More specifically, those who work in health care and have a client who has discriminated against you? What did you do? How did you handle it?

2. WritingPrompts profile image74
    WritingPromptsposted 5 years ago

I'm not in health care, but as a female truck driver I've run into a lot of discrimination from companies I've worked for, shippers/receivers, and even sometimes the sales clerks at truck stops.

I think some people discriminate because they have expectations about who should be in a job.  Truck driving is a man's job and I understand that I don't "look the part".  I suppose male nurses or female doctors sometimes face that same kind of problem.

One of the things I do is observe the person I think is discriminating against me to see if they treat others the same way or differently.  Sometimes the person is just a jerk and they are a jerk to the men as well as the women.  But sometimes I see them treat the men good and the women like shit. 

I've never really done anything about it except notice.  Occasionally, I tell the stories of what happened to people - and usually laugh about it then because I'm good at my job and always think the best revenge is to be the best regardless of what they think.

A couple of times I've mentioned my observations to the person's supervisor, and usually get an apology from the manager when I do - but I don't know if it does any good later on because truck drivers seldom have to see the same people more than once anyway.

working