jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Should Julian Assange be extradited to the US?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image74
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

Should Julian Assange be extradited to the US?

Now that Julian Assange application for asylum was granted by Ecuador government, what should be done about his case in Sweden. Is it possible he can be extradited in the US?

2. profile image0
    Eli Mooreposted 5 years ago

No. I don't think anyone actually believes he sexually assaulted someone. Clearly, he was set up by people who want him silenced. This is how “free speech” works in the lands of free speech -- people who do damage with their publicity of sensitive information are either 1) financially terrorized or 2) legally terrorized. Assange has already been financially terrorized. That didn't work, so legal terror is the next step. No one believes that this sex assault was real.

1. Rod Marsden profile image75
      Rod Marsdenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

3. Mr. Happy profile image83
    Mr. Happyposted 5 years ago

As he (Julian Assange) well said today, the United States government should stop the witch hunt against journalists. And unless the British authorities break international law and go inside the Ecuadorian Embassy to get to him, he is safe there.

4. Rod Marsden profile image75
    Rod Marsdenposted 5 years ago

Since I don't believe in the death penalty I would say no. It has been suggested that representatives of  Sweden interview Julian Assange on embassy grounds. This sounds reasonable. I believe he is guilty of playing havoc with American intelligence as it is but not with the crime he has been accused of in Sweden.

5. Distant Mind profile image77
    Distant Mindposted 5 years ago

I hope he gets away. The US government doesn't like the people having information, but this should not be Assange's problem. I believe he deserves his freedom and the fact that authorities have sunk so low in trying to shut him up is very very worrying.

6. KK Trainor profile image60
    KK Trainorposted 5 years ago

I understand why our government wants to get its hands on him, because he has caused us a lot of headaches with foreign governments. But he's not the one who wrote the docs that were leaked, he just released them for the world to see. This makes me sick and angry, but I can't say that we have a right to snatch him up and jail him.
    At the same time, we have no part in the rape case, so that's up to the Brits, and they have no right to take him from an embassy. But I do wonder how long he will be able to live in an embassy without losing his mind altogether. And if he tries to leave, then he is likely to be arrested and extradited for questioning. He obviously has something to hide or he would have just gone and answered the questions to begin with.

1. Mr. Happy profile image83
      Mr. Happyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

He needs to pull a James Bond and hop out the window into a an Ecuadorian Embassy car, with diplomatic plates. Such vehicles are also an extension of Ecuadorian property and Asange could get to the airport in one of those safely; in theory anyway ...

working