jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Why does the US want to silence Julian Assange?

1. Zubair Ahmed profile image78
    Zubair Ahmedposted 5 years ago

Why does the US want to silence Julian Assange?

Julian Assange is the founder and spokesperson for the now infamous website Wikilieaks. This man and his website has become synonymous with government blunders.  Being under house arrest for more than 500 days and still no conviction...SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH OUR SYSTEM OF FREEDOM of SPEECH!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4236516_f260.jpg

2. Ms Dee profile image88
    Ms Deeposted 5 years ago

I didn't know he was under house arrest in the U.S. Regardless, he is making public what was meant to be known in private; having stollen the private correspondence. There are laws against that. However, I don't think the entire U.S. is wanting to silence him, but rather the U.S. government because, they say, it jeopardizes its foreign policy and national security. The 'transparency' these leaks provide are at least somewhat refreshing, after all the information that is kept hidden or lied about by the current administration (one that campaigned on openess and transparency).

1. Attikos profile image79
      Attikosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was going to write a response here, but after yours I don't need to.

3. H P Roychoudhury profile image48
    H P Roychoudhuryposted 5 years ago

It is a sad back for freedom of speech because US want to silence Julian Assange to keep the public in dark.

4. Ricksen Winardhi profile image75
    Ricksen Winardhiposted 5 years ago

I believe that freedom of speech should come together with responsibility. Important and private information should be handled with extreme care and responsibility. Leaking large amount of information without control can even endanger people's life. Some truth are better kept untold, or maybe kept until the right time comes.

working