jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Do Americans have a sense of entitlement?

1. SemperFitness profile image57
    SemperFitnessposted 5 years ago

Do Americans have a sense of entitlement?

With welfare, unemployment, new public healthcare and other social programs being provided by the government, are Americans feeling a sense of entitlement?  Do some Americans feel that they are owed something just for being born here?

2. profile image0
    WhydThatHappenposted 5 years ago

Well, they ARE entitled to vote. And when issues about how to spend taxes arise they ARE entitled to vote about it.

This is like asking are Americans ENTITLED to go to war on a whim?
    or
    Are Americans ENTITLED to fix problems around the world before fixing the problems at home?

If that is how the voters want it, then yes they are entitled to it.

Yes we are entitled. It isn't just a sense.

1. profile image0
      pcoachposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Did you have anything on the line here like the many of us who actually pay taxes?

2. profile image0
      WhydThatHappenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What does that have to do with the right to vote in favor of those who dont pay taxes? The question wasn't about right or wrong- it was whether americans had a sense of entitlement- and my answer was about the fact of entitlement because of voting.

3. kgarcia1113 profile image70
    kgarcia1113posted 5 years ago

Short answer, yes! Americans feel they are entitled to everything and anything. That isn't always a bad thing, some are entitled to certain things. Workers who have been laid off are entitled to unemployment for a set amount of time, however people who have never had job, any real education and have no desire to better themselves don't deserve welfare but thanks to our country and culture they think they are entitled to it.

4. profile image0
    Eli Mooreposted 5 years ago

Americans are not really spoiled with things. They have to work hard for them. Nevertheless, the ideas that most people are driven by do include a sense of entitlement, in my opinion.

5. Nathan Orf profile image78
    Nathan Orfposted 5 years ago

Yes, definitely we do. Although unemployment is not actually an entitlement, in anyone's view, nor is it "being provided by the government." We Americans want all of the social programs listed above, but we don't want to pay taxes for them, which is unfortunate, because that is the only way we will ever be able to afford all the programs we love.

Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and the like are bankrupting the country, but Americans want all of these programs to stay right where they are. That is why politicians refuse to compromise or make the hard decisions they need to make on the future of these programs.

Our collective sense of entitlement is bad for the country, but it is something everyone, regardless of their political ideology, is guilty of having.

6. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 5 years ago

What country is that in the American continents then, or are you referring to all the countries?

7. Cathleena Beams profile image72
    Cathleena Beamsposted 5 years ago

I don't think that most feel that they are owed something just for being born here, though I know there are some exceptions.  Most Americans are hardworking and are actually contributing to these programs through their tax dollars although they may not be happy that they are doing so, and probably would not do it if they were given the choice on whether they wanted to finance all these programs or not.  There are some people that really do need assistance, that are not employable due to circumstances beyond their control and have no income other than what they receive through these social programs.  It is a life saver to them.  Yet there are others that could work and are milking the system because they are too lazy to work and would rather let others support them and live in poverty instead of put forth the effort it takes to support themselves and their families.  These people will take a free ride on the hard working backs of others and don't feel they should have to pull their own weight in society.  They are commonly referred to as moochers and leeches! (I'm laughing at myself now because I just couldn't resist!)

8. LensMan999 profile image54
    LensMan999posted 5 years ago

It is believed generally that Americans do have a sense of entitlement. But I think this sense is comparatively high in political issues

working