jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is there a different standard of justice for men and woman?

1. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 5 years ago

Is there a different standard of justice for men and woman?

2. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Probably, in the Uk, take the act of 'streaking'.  If a man does it, he is charged and prosecuted under the offence of, indecent exposure, if a woman does it she is charged and prosecuted under the lesser offence of, conduct likely to cause a breach of the peace.  In some rape cases in the last few years in the UK, where it has been proved that the woman was lying through her teeth, she is penalised in a lessser way than the man would expect if found guilty.

3. miakouna profile image75
    miakounaposted 5 years ago

I think so. I think gender roles are still applied in society. When a woman commits a crime, it is assumed that a man was behind the actions, or caused them to become a criminal.

4. daughterson profile image85
    daughtersonposted 5 years ago

There is a different standard of justice for everyone -- if you are a man or a woman, black or white and if you are rich or poor.  Justice is not fair by any means.  Look at all the privaliges Mr. Sandusky got even though he raped little boys and helped bring down the Penn State foot ball program.  In the end he was sentenced for his crimes but how many people charged with such terrible crimes would be allowed to stay at home until trial. 

A poor kid, white or black on trial for Marajuana charges will get the book thrown at them, a prep school kid will get a second chance.  It is, I believe, because the idea of ruining the life a troubled child is not as bad as ruining the life of a prep school kid -- after all the prep school kid has a wonderful future to protect.  Heaven forbid something else be done for these drop out kids other than send them to prison. 

The law is not applied equally at all, man or woman.

I believe the standard of justice is slanted toward wealth and power.  I think it depends on the circumstances as to who is favored more.

5. profile image0
    Panzer Kumarposted 5 years ago

Not even in the wildest dream. Not just men and women but all humans are born equal and justice is common for all. Neither male domination nor female domination could be justified, we humans are supposed to cooperate and coexist while some of us(perhaps most of us) try to dominate and exterminate each other.

6. grumpiornot profile image72
    grumpiornotposted 5 years ago

The standard of justice ought to be the same for any person - it is the application of that standard that changes. Theft is theft; but stealing a loaf of bread because you are hungry is not the same as stealing millions of dollars from pensioners via a pyramid scheme.
    So the personal circumstances of each individual will be applicable in how justice is applied, but the standard for the commission of the crime is legislated and effectively fixed.
    Women and men are different; neither is better or worse but they are simply different. This means that the personal circumstances in the application of justice will also be different and will often follow general characteristics typical of their race, sex or other human characteristics. Obviously generalizations are dangerous, but they are statistically existent.
    Without making too many generalizations to support my conclusion, women and men are raised and live according to different societal expectations, making them inherently different.
    The standard must always be the same; the application must always take personal circumstances into account.

working