Oath Keepers Found Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (61 posts)
  1. peoplepower73 profile image90
    peoplepower73posted 16 months ago

Finally Justice is being served
    Rhodes and the other defendants were charged with disrupting the peaceful transfer of power by conspiring to oppose by force the certification of President Joe Biden's electoral college victory on Jan. 6, 2021, among multiple other felonies.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/oath- … e282124c3d

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Not surprising, the federal law on Seditious Conspiracy is pretty wide:

"If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both."

The yahoos that took over the building in Oregon were guilty.  Anyone forcibly opposing any federal law enforcement is guilty.  Attempting to take over any federal building, as was done in the Portland riots, qualifies.  Lee Harvey Oswald was guilty of it.

None of which matters at all, of course, as Trump was not convicted.  Or indicted in spite of all the cries that he masterminded and controlled that riot.

peoplepower73posted 16 months agoin reply to this

Wilderness:  You just don't give up do you?  I believe Trump's turn is coming.

Two Trump-appointed judges reject comparisons between January 6 and Portland unrest

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/28/politics … index.html

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
          DrMark1961posted 16 months agoin reply to this

Actually from what I am seeing here is you are the one that will not give up. TDS.

DrMark:  Do you think Trump should get away clean for trying to obstruct the peaceful transfer of power from a duly elected president and admitting he stole highly classified documents from the DOD?

1. GA Anderson profile image88
              GA Andersonposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Stop proving them to be right peoplepower. The thread is about the Oath Keepers' verdicts, and the Portland riots tangent, not about Trump and classified documents.  Poke, poke. ;-)

GA

GA:  In my view, Trump is the common denominator in all of this.  If it wasn't for Trump, none of this would have happened. There would have been no Jan. 6  riots, no stealing of classified documents and no election deniers who still won't accept losing an election. He is a narcissistic master con-artist who plays to peoples fantasies.

2. wilderness profile image94

LOL  One of us doesn't give up, that's for sure!  lol

2. Sharlee01 profile image80
      Sharlee01posted 16 months agoin reply to this

I am not sure if you watched the trial. There was ample physical evidence to convict this man as charged. It certainly does indicate justice was done. Evidence was the key to his conviction, as well as his own words.

Hopefully, this tells you it is just smarter to wait and let justice take its course. You have had Trump one foot behind bars for many years now. Perhaps you might consider it smarter to just not assume one is guilty of a crime, at best until charged with a crime.

Sharlee:  You and Wilderness tried to minimize the action of the Oath Keepers when I commented about their involvement in Jan. 6.  And now you are lecturing me about Trump.

I believe the Proud Boys are next to be prosecuted and Trump will follow with the Special Counsel hot on his trail.  Trump has already admitted to stealing the classified documents.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics … li=BBnb7Kz

1. Sharlee01 profile image80

"Sharlee:  You and Wilderness tried to minimize the action of the Oath Keepers when I commented about their involvement in Jan. 6.  And now you are lecturing me about Trump."

No, actually we did not. We stuck to known facts and nothing else. I did ask you a bit ago to quote me in regard to your feelings I belittled your thoughts. You did not respond. I must ask you once again to quote me in regard to this current view you shared here. I don't feel I minimized your view, just shared my view. I think you read too much into others' opinions and feel if one does not agree with you, you may feel one is minimizing your view.

I have offered my view of the problems Trump faces due to taking Documents from the White House. I have claimed over and over, I think he most probably will be indicted for taking the documents. I o not think the prosecution will win.

I also shared I don't think he will face any charges in regard to the Jan 6th riot.

I agree with both opinions.  Trump will be indicted, but will face no repercussions.  He will be indicted because Democrats are still slavering to put him behind bars (eliminating him as a presidential candidate) and he will be declared innocent because of past history.

So agree. I was just reading that a judge has ordered Trump to hand over his Taxes to Congress.  The same taxes that NY DA has had for over a year, and found nothing to indicate Trump has any indictable problems with his taxes. Now Congress will once again open an investigation on his taxes.

In my view, we once again have a  'let's accuse, and look for evidence to get Trump". I feel the Democrats will continue to go after Trump until he either dies or steps away from politics. I must say I have never witnessed such a man that would fight so hard to unveil the swamp.

Just wish more Americans would look at all of these slimy tricks for what they are, slimy tricks to say look here, not there.

And some owner why we have such a dived. I mean what is being done to Trump is so obvious, it shocks me that anyone I mean at this point anyone can't see through the ploys that the Democrats have been perpetuating.

I'm not so sure that the primary goal is to find something to hang Trump with in his taxes.  I rather think the goal is to make them all public, exposing his every deal to open scrutiny and demonization.  Consider public reaction if he doesn't pay thousands of times what the man in the street does in taxes.  Consider the reaction when the sheer amount of money passing through Trump's hands is made public, and tied to very little in the way of taxes (only 100X what others pay.). 

I think the goal is to demonize Trump even more than he already is, and to make business dealings public, destroying a major portion of the future possibilities for business.

1. abwilliams profile image68
                  abwilliamsposted 16 months agoin reply to this

All because he dared!

2. peoplepower73 profile image90

Sharlee;  This is what Wilderness said about the guy with the spear and horns.  "Looks like a real killer, right?  Ready to murder the VP and take over the country on the spot, right?"  It turns out he was one of the first one to enter the chamber with a bull horn, lead the mob in  and scratch a note on Pelosi's desk about her final days. He is indicted and going to spend time in jail.

When you disagree with someone, you state that you disagree with what they said. When you criticize what someone is saying then you are downplaying and minimizing what they are saying.  You call it your facts.

This what you said eight days ago about my comments.

They certainly could have sought out Pelosi and Pence if they were determined to find them. They were in, they has guns and other weapons. The fact is they did not. Did this riot even resemble any type of a plan to kill anyone?

It is very factual that they constructed three pieces of wood that appeared to be gallows. Did they attempt to hang anyone? NO

No, I do not know what they were going to do. I know they did not use those guns, hold hostages, or even look pursue finding anyone to hang. You need to look factually at what they did, not what you feel they were capable of.

"Do you think they carried weapons just to play soldier."

Did they use their guns? No

" They had a complete stash of ammunition in standby off site."

So, what good would those weapons do sitting in a hotel room? You are adding your own views to what could have been done, not what actually occurred. Logically, in my view,
            this bunch did not have any true plan nor were they intending to do harm to any human being, because they certainly could have. The protest got out of hand, and a riot occurred my view. It's actually a miracle one of these yahoos did not flip out and start shooting. But they just did not.

My point is I was right about the Oath Keepers and stashing their weapons and the guy with the horns and spear.  You and Wilderness say, I'm letting my imagination run away with things when in fact I was right.

I do deal in facts.  I did the research and posted it on why the Portland DA was lenient in his prosecution  of many of the rioters.  But republicans are not buying it because they want to compare it to the Jan. 6. riots.

All that you have quoted in regard to my views --- I think you are misreading the context. Do you note the punctuation? I asked you direct questions, note the ? marks, I followed up with my personal views, on the questions I asked of you.  I don't consider disagreeing or questioning another view as minimizing another view, just sharing my perspective, on a given subject.

I did follow up with a concern about ruminating on Trump. I thought it helpful, not meant to insult. In my view, concentrating or ruminating on a given problem can cause health problems. I can see I became too personal, and apologize for my unsolicited advice.  I felt we have become chat mates and could share advice --- my bad.

Sharlee:  My point is what you and wilderness consider as facts are sometimes just your opinions and then you tell me I should only deal in facts and not let my imagination run away with things.

As far as health problems go, if I can't express myself after doing research, then I can have health problems.  I am addicted to these forums and I find commenting very challenging at times, but I love the challenge, it is very satisfying.

When I said the rioters had paramilitary troops, wilderness minimized my comments by saying they only had a fire extinguisher and a flag pole. I know I should be commenting on Wilderness' thread, but I'm hoping he will read this comment.

I accept your "my bad" as an apology.

"wilderness minimized my comments by saying they only had a fire extinguisher and a flag pole"

??What weapons do you think they had at the Capitol?  Not miles away, uselessly sitting in a motel room in another state, but at the scene of the insurrection, where the nation was being taken over?

2. Sharlee01 profile image80

"Sharlee:  My point is what you and wilderness consider as facts are sometimes just your opinions and then you tell me I should only deal in facts and not let my imagination run away with things."

If I am intending to present a fact, I offer a link, otherwise, I think most would agree here I overuse the words IMO, and in my view. Just saying. This is a chat, I note much is view-related, more so than many social media sites. I realize you also share your views, your context is as a rule clear.

I think it is wonderful to challenge in a conversation, it is what keeps a conversation alive, and interesting.

"When I said the rioters had paramilitary troops, wilderness minimized my comments by saying they only had a fire extinguisher and a flag pole. I know I should be commenting on Wilderness' thread, but I'm hoping he will read this comment."

I read that as his view just differs in regards to yours. He has compared weapons and sees some used as more harmful. Just his view of one weapon being less problematic than another. I think on chats context can get hard to decipher.

I also think we get to know each other the longer we chat at one site. I try to work around personalities, some I just don't become involved with, for many reasons. 

I can see you like a good debate, and hold your own, but at times (as we all do) just read the context wrong.

3. profile image67
      KC McGeeposted 16 months agoin reply to this

How odd that Antifa/BLM can commit sedition by setting up a CHAZ in the middle of Seattle in 2020 and the Democrats still say it was only a  "Protest". And those responsable have never been charge with sediton.

No, justice has NOT BEEN SERVED.

2. GA Anderson profile image88
    GA Andersonposted 16 months ago

I  see the Jan. 6 and Portland comparison as a point about the unequal application of law, not the validity of the verdicts. I too think the Portland rioters were under-charged and that law enforcement efforts were less than what the law demanded.

But, that doesn't change the facts that brought the Capitol rioters', (seditionists?), convictions. From what I have seen so far, I agree with the verdicts. I didn't get the orgasmic thrill that CNN did, but I was relieved to see what I view as proper application of the law—even when it has to stand next to the example of improper application concerning the Portland rioters.

GA

I agree with you, GA - the Capitol rioters convictions were in line with their crime.  It does remain to be seen if their sentences are as well; it should be in line with the sentences laid down in other riots, not multiplied by 10 as a way to get at Trump or because it was the powerful of the nation that were scared.

Wilderness:  Do you think Trump should get away clean when he now admits he stole the documents and that he tried to obstruct the peaceful transfer of ;power to a duly elected president?

It's also interesting in your previous comments that you tried to minimize what the Oath Keepers were about. So much for the guy with the horns and the spear and fire extinguisher. Next are the Proud Boys.  I'm sure you will compare their trial to the Portland riot.

"Wilderness:  Do you think Trump should get away clean when he now admits he stole the documents and that he tried to obstruct the peaceful transfer of ;power to a duly elected president?"

Does either one of those have anything to do with the Capitol riot?  No?  Then you are off on a tangent again, trying to convict Trump instead of sticking to the topic.

Yes, I will compare their trial to Portland riot.  As GA pointed out it is quite apparent that the criminals from Portland riots will in no way be treated as those from the Capitol riot.  There appear to be two reasons for this:
          1) there is a possibility, however slim, of including Trump in the Capitol riot.
          2) the Capitol riot frightened those with the power to do something about it - something the victims in Portland could not do.  Plus, of course, we must keep in mind that liberals do not believe in enforcing laws...unless they are directly affected.

GA:  This is from the Portland Court House Newsroom.

PORTLAND, Ore. (CN) — Most of the approximately 550 people arrested in Portland, Oregon, since May 29 in protests against police brutality and systemic racism won’t be prosecuted, Multnomah County District Attorney Mike Schmidt announced Tuesday.

Just 11 days into his new term as elected district attorney, Schmidt announced Tuesday that his office will decline to prosecute cases related to the protests that do not involve violence, theft, or deliberate property damage. His office will not pursue charges of disorderly conduct, interfering with a police officer, criminal trespass and most charges of rioting. There will be no change in how prosecutors handle cases like arson and assault.

Schmidt said Tuesday that the policy was an attempt to “create a forum” for Portlanders to express their “collective grief, anger and frustration” about the death of George Floyd, a Black man killed by a white Minneapolis police officer who kneeled on his neck for nearly nine minutes, and about “the countless other abuses people of color have endured in our country throughout history.

“As prosecutors, we acknowledge the depth of emotion that motivates these demonstrations and support those who are civically engaged through peaceful protesting,” Schmidt said at a Tuesday press conference. “We recognize that we will undermine public safety, not promote it, if we leverage the force of our criminal justice system against peaceful protestors who are demanding to be heard.”

Charges of resisting arrest will be treated with “a high level of scrutiny,” to consider the chaos of mass demonstrations and whether police have subjected protesters to clouds of tear gas in the moments before arrests, Schmidt said.

He added that his office has a team of 10 deputy district attorneys reviewing all protest-related charges.

Out of about 550 people arrested for their part in Portland’s 75 straight days of protests against police brutality and systemic racism, about 50 were charged with felonies that have already been prosecuted, according to Nathan Vasquez, senior deputy district attorney. Another 100 were charged with felonies in cases where Schmidt’s office has asked police to complete additional investigation before deciding whether to pursue the charges. For the remaining 400 people facing misdemeanors, Schmidt’s office will likely drop all charges.

Here is the link to the article.

https://www.courthousenews.com/portland … rotesters/

1. GA Anderson profile image88

Thanks for the link. Which part of the 'Portland riots' argument is it intended to support?

The link seems to say 50 people, (plus some portion of another 100, maybe?), out of 550 charged, have faced prosecution. I don't think that was your intended point.

GA

GA:  My point is it was up to the Portland DA to make the decision to let some of those people off the hook because their protest was about the  treatment given to George Floyd. If you want to blame somebody, blame him. 

Jan. 6 and Portland were both riots, but with different intentions and motivation.  Jan. 6 was about storming and enter the seat of the U.S. government for the purpose of obstructing the peaceful transfer of power to the duly elected president.

Portland was a protest about the excessive use of force used on George Floyd that caused his death.  You stated it was unequal application of the law.  I agree with you, but it was done with purpose because the intentions and motivation were different. Granted, they were both riots.

1. profile image67
            KC McGeeposted 16 months agoin reply to this

biden was NOT DULY ELECTED. It was STOLEN by the DEMOCRATS.

2. GA Anderson profile image88

But, but . . . I wasn't using the Portland riots as some sort of mitigation.

Your closing said a lot; they were both riots but one was done with purpose because the intentions and motivation were different. What does that mean, Jan. 6 had bad motives and Portland had good ones?

GA

GA: I didn't say one was done with purpose.  I said it was done with purpose.  I am not defending either one.  They are both bad. If you don't like the outcome, take it up with Portland DA, not me. I'm just trying to understand the rational behind both sides.

3. wilderness profile image94

I will grant you that the Portland (and Seattle, and Minneapolis, and dozens of others) riots started by BLM were a protest against the death of Floyd.  But as soon as the sun went down, night after night after night, any such though went out the window and it became a simple riot.  Looting, burning, destruction, flagrant violence against authority, etc. 

If you're going to use motive to determine whether a punishment should be given, consider that against the idiots in the Capital that merely wanted to stop an illegal election. 

But if it's not about motive, and the Capital riot was about stopping the proper transfer of power to a duly elected president rather than stopping an illegal election process, then it should not matter why the other riots happened, either.

Wilderness:  I read in one of the articles it had to do with evidence. Since they were mainly protesting after the sun went down, it was dark and they had to prove evidence on specific individuals which is hard to do when you can't see them.. If you don't like the outcome, I suggest you do the research and find out what the DA's  rational was for making those decisions.

Here I will take a leaf from your playbook: I think I already know the rationale.  It was the liberal philosophy that it is OK to ignore the law if it is a "bad" law.  We see Democrat leaders leading "protests" on private ground, we see Democrats denying Washington's right to protect our borders, we see them encouraging riots by allowing them to continue an denying federal help to control them.

The Portland, and other, riots were simply more of the same IMO; liberals allowing people to harm others in the name of being WOKE.

I also have to question why 550 people, after 100+ days of rioting (50/day) are charged out of the thousands rioting, while a majority of those at the Capital have been charged with a crime.

Wilderness:  If you don't like the outcome, take it up with the Portland DA, not me.  I'm just trying to understand why people are making the comparison.

"I'm just trying to understand why people are making the comparison."

That one's real easy.  A riot is a riot is a riot.  Property destruction is property destruction.  People getting hurt is people getting hurt.  At the root there is no difference between Portland riots and the Capital riot - you can try to make one, in your mind, but there isn't really.  Regardless of what motivation you may apply, regardless of how you try and make one evil and one normal, at the root it is people violating the law and causing harm to others.

*shudder* Can there be a better reason to stay far, far away from Portland (and perhaps the entire state) than public announcements like that one? 

"Don't worry about cops, people; we won't prosecute for anything less than murder and arson and will look the other way in order not to arrest for that, either.

3. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 16 months ago

Truth. PP has a severe case of TDS. If the TDS sufferers have their way, the Jan. 6th protest, wherein ONE person, a Trump supporter, died, will go down as the worst event in history!

ab:  You also have a severe case of TDS (Trump Denial Syndrome).

Yep there is no denying that Trump lives in your head rent free.smile

ab:  There is nobody living in your head, because there is nobody home and all the lights are off.  Actually you are suffering from cognitive dissonance...look it up.

Attempting to diagnose me doesn't fix you.

ab:  How do you feel about Trump admitting that he stole the highly classified documents from the DOD?

What does it matter how I feel about it? You know, empty me and all that.
                There's Trump's version and then there's his enemy's version. His enemy will never let up, but should he give up, that's the real question.

ab:  It's called justice.

I agree, he shouldn't give up!
                    Later.

Do I detect an assumption of guilt, guilt without that tiresome requirement of a "trial by a jury of his peers"?

ab:  But it's O.K. if you say I have Trump Derangement Syndrome and that Trump lives rent free in my head.  Isn't that a diagnosis?  See how hypocritical this can be?

4. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 16 months ago

You are right, I was much too kind.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)