jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Do you think people on welfare should have to pay a copay?

1. aDayInMyLife1 profile image90
    aDayInMyLife1posted 5 years ago

Do you think people on welfare should have to pay a copay?

It is no secret that the state of our Healthcare system is a mess and that welfare is abused. Having people on welfare pay copays, even something as nominal as $1 office visits, $2 urgent care, $10 emergency room $10 ambulance rides would greatly help the state of things. When healthcare is free people don't use their judgement and use the ambulance as a free cab ride, they show up in the ED with minor issues that could wait until an urgent care or office was open. So people would not only make better choices, but would also use resources appropriately, & welfare would have more funds.

2. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

This is a good question but leads me to another one. Should the layed off unemployed person who is getting medicaid or medicare have to pay the same co pay as a low income working person? I think you get into a lot of details with this one that are hard to solve. Most people collecting medicaid (at least in my state) have to be children, woman under 21, pregnant, or disability. Men don't get any medicaid unless they have a disability (even then they have to fight much harder for it). So with the exception of the women who keep getting pregnant over and over with no thought of actually having to pay for that child, most on medicaid services actually need it. I think it would be smarter to drug test all who collect food stamps, section 8, and welfare cash cards and save the money from those who fail rather than bothering those who collect medicaid.

3. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image84
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 5 years ago

First, I totally agree with peeples about the drug testing. And it should be a REAL drug test. Like somebody watches you pee in the cup or you take a blood test. Drug testing should likewise apply to unemployment compensation. If you have to take a drug test to get a job, you should have to take a drug test to get paid for not having a job.

Definitely abuse of the ambulance and ER is a major problem. When you see people walk to the ambulance and they look normal, they probably shouldn't be riding in the ambulance. I've seen the same people do it again and again.These urgent care places are open long hours. No reason I can see with my own two eyes why these people shouldn't be utilizing less expensive alternatives, since we are paying for it. My suggestion would be that unless the person who rides in the ambulance to the ER is confined overnight in the hospital, copays apply.

4. Georgie Lowery profile image95
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

I believe there is somewhat of a misconception on how Medicare and Medicaid work. I won't argue that these programs are abused, I've seen it first hand. But I think your question is entirely too generalized and contributes to the stigma and misinformation about the folks who use "gumment" insurance.

I am disabled. I have  Medicare part A (emergency hospital services only) for free. To be able to have insurance to see a regular doctor, I have to pay a $99.90 premium every month. I also have a deductible in the form of a co-pay, which, I believe is $1000/year. (I just got enrolled this month, I don't have the literature yet.) So, I'm going to be paying about $2200 a year for what most Americans assume is "free" welfare. This is about 1/10th of my total yearly income, which is more than the majority of Americans in my income bracket pay for their Healthcare. 

Many people who have Medicaid also have copays for doctor's visits and prescriptions. The only real "free" version of either of these, I believe is for pregnant women and minors.

1. newyc profile image60
      newycposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What is "gumment insurance"? please.

2. Georgie Lowery profile image95
      Georgie Loweryposted 5 years agoin reply to this

IT's how some people pronounce government. Sorry. smile

3. aDayInMyLife1 profile image90
      aDayInMyLife1posted 5 years agoin reply to this

As a healthcare worker I do know the difference between individuals on Medicare v those on medicaid. Healthcare workers do not look at them the same. You are right that this question is general and may lead less knowledgable people to group the two.

4. tinamariemiller profile image60
      tinamariemillerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I pay over $7700 a year for medical insurance through my company insurance.  That is about 2 months of my wages for a year.  No one gets free stuff.

5. Georgie Lowery profile image95
      Georgie Loweryposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Quite a lot of people get free stuff. My concern with this question is the assumption that all of us who are on these government programs are getting it free and abusing it. Some of us can't work to earn extra $ to pay for it, either.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I work at a therapis's office and I had a woman tell me that her son's medication was free.  And I wanted to tell her that no, it was not free that we all pay for it.

I agree that co-pays should be collected.  In Montana, it is $3 per therapy visit but she won't collect it. I believe that being responsible for the co-pay will cause the person to feel invested in their healthcare.