jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How can vote selling or vote buying be avoided?

1. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 5 years ago

How can vote selling or vote buying be avoided?

All around the world, especially in poorer communities people end-up selling their vote to the highest bidder. Basically, a voter goes into the voting booth, votes as the buyer of his/her vote wishes then, photographs the ballot with a phone camera (to prove that he/she has voted as the buyer requested) and walks out. After showing the photograph of the voted ballot, the voter receives his/her money and walks away. The end result is election fraud. Can this be avoided?

2. BobMonger profile image60
    BobMongerposted 5 years ago

The penalties for doing this in the USA are very heavy, but what is most needed is a sense of character in all parties. It also doesn't hurt if the voting public has at least a basic education; this is a pretty tall order for the poorer countries on this world. I think avoided is the wrong word here, stamped out might be a more appropriate adjective phrase. Voter fraud was rampant in the USA in the early part of the twentieth century and it took a lot of politicians getting thrown in jail before the system was reformed.

3. IDONO profile image83
    IDONOposted 5 years ago

No. About the only thing you could do is to ban electronic devices from the premises and between that and picture I.D. and security already in place, voter turnout would be worse than it already is. When you think about it, if a voter is so desperate that they sell their vote, how did they get a camera phone?
         I don't know but I have to believe the incidents of this happening could not be so common as to sway a national election. Maybe I'm naive. I agree with bobmonger. The penalties are very high for this and should be posted plainly at every poll. For one, my vote and $50 isn't worth 5 yrs. in prison.

4. Ericdierker profile image58
    Ericdierkerposted 5 years ago

I had to think about this one. And it occurs to me that the best way really to stop the problem is a snitch bounty. Offer more to people who turn in politicians or their lackeys then they would get by selling the vote. Yes there are glitches. But the best deterrent is to hit it right at the transaction. Now the problem would be the opposing party sending out folks to make false claims. But I would swap the vote buying problem for that problem any day.

1. IDONO profile image83
      IDONOposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If I could vote best answer, you'd get it.

working