jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

When was the last time a democratically elected body of representatives voted to

1. derek gulbranson profile image81
    derek gulbransonposted 5 years ago

When was the last time a democratically elected body of representatives voted to declare war?

Looking for factual answers. Extra credit for the last time a democratically elected body of representatives voted to initiate a war, i.e. not in response to a war initiated by a foreign country.

2. Attikos profile image80
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

The last declaration of war adopted by the US congress was against Romania in 1942. Romania had not directly attacked the United States, but it was allied with the Axis, which had.

The last congressional declaration of war against a foreign nation that had neither directly attacked the US nor was part of an alliance that unquestionably had was against either Spain in 1898 or Austria-Hungary in 1917, depending on one's standard of defining a direct attack.

3. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

An article I read recently opened my eyes on the subject of "declared war."

It made the point that the Constitution meant that Congress could "declare" that a "state of war" already existed, and that then it was okay to go to war. Changed my perspective a bit.

I thought the answer was 1941 against Japan and by extension the Axis allied with them. But I didn't know what @Attikos said about 1942 and Romania. Very interesting.

But I wonder, are you talking about any nation? It seems both @Attikos and I were concentrating only on America.

There are some that say that Spain bombed the USS Maine in Havana Harbor, but that could easily have been a false flag operation to trick Americans into wanting war. False flags have been used throughout history.

In fact, 9/11 looks to have been a false flag operation. It certainly doesn't look like Bin Laden or Al Qaeda did it. Simply High School physics proves controlled demolition and that proves inside job.

@Attikos came up with a real nice answer.

1. Attikos profile image80
      Attikosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The cause of the Maine's explosion is unknown. The Navy's board of inquiry concluded it was done by a naval mine in Havana Harbor, but there was never any proof. It may have been an accidental fire in a coal bunker.

working