A special school for U.S. representatives and the president?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (39 posts)
  1. JeniferD profile image60
    JeniferDposted 14 years ago

Lately, it seems that our elected body has demonstrated VERY limited competence when it comes to addressing the issues of the U.S. or applying the laws of the U.S. Constitution, and since we all know there is no FORMAL training for these positions, I think it would be an excellent idea if We The People put the screws to our current incumbents to implement some kind of training, where the instructors are senior active duty military officers and non-commissioned officers. Those are the ones who know our U.S. Constitution best, and what morally and ethically sound really means.

If lawyers, and doctors, have to pass a bar exam to practice their profession, our reps need to pass a training course to occupy a government office.

I never thought 'Politician' was a real profession anyway.

Yes, this course would be mandatory, and our reps would have to graduate with an 85 average or better.  I'm sure the War College would be more than happy to open up a few classrooms to educate our wealthy idiots in office.  If the incumbents, or candidates, refuse, they are either removed from office or disqualified to run until they pass this course. 

A suggested title?  Government Office 101.

1. Aya Katz profile image83
      Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jennifer, I think your intention is good, but it's going to backfire. Have you considered who will write the textbooks and who will grade the exams? Whoever is in power will dictate the standards by which these politicians are judged. It will make it that much harder for principled people to get elected. It will be like the indoctrinations that all representatives used to have to undergo in the Soviet Union.

2. Tom Cornett profile image80
      Tom Cornettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Many of our politicians (to be politically correct)are morally and ethically challenged.  Often, their self righteous motives clash with the Constitution. 
      Wisdom has little to do with education. A true leader will be wise. A mediocre leader will be a wise ass.

2. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

I think anyone who runs for any elected office at a State level or Higher should have some kind of Degree in Constitutional Studies, Foreign Affairs, Finances/Accounting, Tax Laws and Speech. (Speech=how to communicate with the people, not at the people.

Don't you think that the more degrees a candidate has, the less likely he is to talk with the people instead of at them?

1. Michael Willis profile image67
        Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good point. He then believes he/she is too smart for the people he/or she represents!

2. livewithrichard profile image73
        livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly! This is why our system is the way it is.  People need to quit whining and start looking in the mirror. It's you and I that put those politicians in their jobs so it's our responsibility to make sure they are qualified.

3. manlypoetryman profile image80
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

I still don't think they'd get it right...even if they did pass their "school" with an 85 or better!

4. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Aristotle and Plato covered it pretty well.  Maybe follow it up with the Federalist papers.  Wouldn't have to have anyone write anything new, since all of it has been hashed and rehashed anyway.

I'll grade them.  big_smile

Okay, Shades. And how would you deal with constitutional issues that different citizens and different Supreme Court Justices can't agree upon? Do the candidates fail if they don't give the answer you think is right?

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As long as the arguments being made were based in the principles taught in the three textbooks we had made, I would let democracy work at that point and let the bench majority work.

I would add one suggestion, though.  Everything but the Constitution and Bill of Rights gets wiped every 100 years.  Clean slate.  All previous precedents go away so that a new century can start without all the crap that starts to seep in over time as one precedent starts to conflict with another.  smile

Yikes! There goes stare decisis. Would you do that to the common law, too?

You are a radical, my friend!

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
            Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's not gone.  They just get to clean house.  If a new century wants to write in some new "old" rules at the start of the century based on great precedents, they can.  Plus, if a decision is that amazing and universally true on some level, the previous century will go through the process to make an ammendment of it. If it can't be made to stick like that, then it ain't that absolute of a truth and might be best to let the new century have it's own crack at the issue. 

I really do understand the value of letting settled things be settled, but they start to conflict with all the nuanced versions over time, and it starts not being about each individual case in it's own context and instead about trying to stuff unique stories into this old context or that.  The system is never going to be able to take the humans out of justice.  It just starts generating really, really, really thick rule books that give sophistical lawyers more to work with besides "the truth," however relative such a thing may be.

5. Michael Willis profile image67

I personally wish there was some Law that made them accountable to the people that elected them. I wrote about this in a hub and also shared parts of it with local media. Consensus is...no way there would ever be a law for that. lol The Politicians introduce the laws...they would never pass a law that made them accountable.

1. manlypoetryman profile image80
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here, Here...I second that, Michael.

6. Doug Hughes profile image61
    Doug Hughesposted 14 years ago

From Wikipedia-

"Barack Obama attended Occidental College, but received his undergraduate degree in political science from Columbia University, an Ivy League member currently ranked 9th in the country by U.S. News and World Report. Obama also graduated Magna Cum Laude from the Harvard Law School, where he also served as President of the Harvard Law Review. Harvard Law School is ranked the best Law School in America.
    Columbia University - B.A. political science with a specialization in international relations.
    Harvard - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude"

The President was also a Professor of "Constitutional Law" at the University of Chicago Law School, where he taught three courses from 1992 to 2004.

1. manlypoetryman profile image80
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Uh-Oh...someone's using Wiki-Tikipedia...to derive faxtz!!!

2. Aya Katz profile image83

Yep. Just goes to show that a degree, an education and all that they entail are not the answer.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Obma may have among the best educational qualifications ever for the Presidency. This is helpful, but we've had several excellent presidents, e.g., Harry Truman, who didn't go to college. Character, intelligence, values may well be more important than formal education. Truman was a great student of history as I recall. And he was a more courageous and decisive individual than many other presidents.

Ralph, good to see that we agree on this: Character, intelligence and values are much more important than education!

7. Michael Willis profile image67

LOL, I remember when I was just a 4th year Apprentice in Electrical...I was supervising a pretty good size Industrial Electrical Job. One of the Journeyman Electrician I had sent to me made a 98 on the Journeyman's Test (You have no idea how amazing a score like that really is!!!!!)

He was book smart, but was run off my job because he could not put into his work what He knew from the books! His excuse always was his test score and experience in the trade...well, in the trade I am in there is no excuse for work that is not safe or up to code so he was gone!

So, there's not much point in requiring that test, is there?

The test as the only source would not be a good idea. There has to be more. That is the actual point I am making here.  But some required studies could only help.

Could you see Arnold Schwarzenegger as President? (Not that he could, not being born in the US), or the Wrestler that was Governor?

8. JeniferD profile image60

So, what is supposed to prepare our representatives to aid their own citizens in the event of a natural disaster?  Less than 2% of them have had any military training. Ray Nagin was a total waste of oxygen when Katrina and Rita hit New Orleans back in 2005. 1,400 school buses and he couldn't rally the skilled folks to drive them?  He needs to be in prison for failing to act in a time of emergency, other than whining to DC for help. Thousands of citizens died because of Mayor Nagin's incompetence!

Money might talk, but, GUESS WHAT? Money can't buy off a hurricane, a flood, earthquakes, or tornados!  Explain that to the citizens who depend on you for help, representation, and guidance in the event of a disaster.  We have a bunch of idiots in office who don't know their anal cavity from jack.

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image59
      Rajab Nsubugaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jenifer, let me not sound indifferent to your concerns but in a true capitalist state like yours, there is nothing like right or wrong. It is either fun or boredom, and in most cases nothing makes 'sense' unless it is fun! Guess what! My president suffered a heart- attack! And it was all because of a 45 minute call from Mrs Clinton- proposing to him to drop the 'anti-gay bill!'

9. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

I believe they all need to have a degree in common sense!
    The founders did not think that serving would become a profession.  They believed one should serve for a short time and then go home!  Citizen legislators, what a concept!

1. Doug Hughes profile image61
      Doug Hughesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The founding fathers came up with a unique solution for term limits called 'elections'. If the people at home like the job their legislators are doing, and the legislators want to continue to serve, they get sent back.

I have heard the call for term limits as a way of overriding the will of the people in elections for decades. I can't see how it makes sense to retire someone who is doing an effective job and replacing him with a rookie to improve government.

If it's the 3rd inning and the pitcher has thrown 9 strikeouts in a row, why pull him from the game?

10. JeniferD profile image60

YES!  You hit the nail on the head!  Ain't our fault God made these current incumbents too dumb to flip burgers, but, made them arrogant enough to think that they could run a country!  LOL!!

WE THE PEOPLE elected these 'current incumbents' to run the country.

EXCUSE the hell out of me as a voter if they havent done what YOU wanted them to do. There's an election in November and you can put up a candidate from McDonalds if you think a burger flipper they can do a better job. (I have been a burger flipper if you want to nominate me.)

It's called democracy. Whoever we send is charged with the job of running the country. It's not arrogant - it's the job description.

11. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

I graduated from college not too long ago and I have to say that many of the people I went to school with..medical students, law students and others who will be in positions of trust and respect...well to be honest, a lot of them were not very bright. Some got by on their families name or wealth, others were just great at taking tests or cheating their way through college. So having a degree can be deceiving. If this was a prerequisite for all of our elected officials it would spawn even more elitism...Maybe we should have more everyday people in government...people who really know what it's like to live pay check to pay check or if they can pay rent or feed their kids. Just step back and look at it without any of the republican/democrat BS...both parties suck and have no real solutions for anything but putting money in the pockets of the special interests and themselves...the people of this country are irrelevant to both parties.

A lot of democrats but their jobs and future on the line by voting FOR a health care bill that they know ill be good for 'the people of this country". Over the decades, politicians have avoided doing something on a difficult and complex issue - which is the net result of all the GOP alternatives - and laft the problem for future Congresses.

No the bill is not perfect but it's a huge step in the right direction and an act of courage from a body who has typically maintained a prudent policy of cowardace.

12. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

What if instead of just politicians...everyone had to take such classes? LOL

There are already plenty of mandatory classes and this doesn't make the world a better place. We need fewer classes, fewer laws, fewer requirements and more freedom for each person to live his own life.

13. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

The school aimed to teach the US representatives and the President should first teach the voting public. Those who wins elections and become representatives and Presidents need no schooling. They are much wiser than the voting public, who lack discipline, and require lecture on how to behave as good citizens.

14. JON EWALL profile image60
    JON EWALLposted 14 years ago

Doug Hughes

THE DEMS VOTING FOR THE HEALTHCARE REFORM BILL put their jobs on the line for the democrat party and President Obama not for the people.

The other party of whom you speak about wanted illegals and non citizens excluded from the benefits of the bill.
    The illegal cost of using government entitlements to the taxpayers and the government are about $300 billion a year.

We should all wonder why the Dem's pushed the bill without excluding non citizens and illegals.

As usual, Jon, you operate in the fact-free zone of the wingnut.

"But this debate is too important to allow falsehoods to go unrebutted, so it’s time (yet again) to set the record straight:

Falsehood #1: Illegal immigrants will get taxpayer benefits under the health care reform proposals under consideration.

Fact: Every proposal on the table explicitly disqualifies illegal immigrants from receiving federal benefits. See the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee bill, Section 151 and the Energy-Commerce Committee bill, Section 246. All reports from the Senate Finance Committee deliberations indicate there will be similar restrictions contained in the bill they plan to unveil.

Falsehood #2: There won’t be any verification mechanisms to ensure illegal immigrants don’t receive benefits under these proposals.

Fact: Some verification process will be required under a new program to enforce the explicit prohibition on benefits to undocumented immigrants. The federal government already utilizes verification mechanisms like the Department of Homeland Security-administered SAVE Program. Opponents of reform cite the defeat of the verification amendments to health care legislation during House committee markups as proof that “illegals” will benefit from health care reform. In fact, by defeating the overly restrictive amendments committee members preserved critical administrative flexibility in defining the most effective verification process."

from -
      http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/ … ealth.html

1. JON EWALL profile image60
        JON EWALLposted 14 years agoin reply to this

doug

Shame on you calling me a wingnut. Quoting information from a activist radical progressive group explains the positions you take on political matters.
        American Progress is a radical leftist group .Referring to an article dated Sept. 09 as your response to my hub is simply inexcusable .It reminds me of house leader Pelosi stating '' we need to pass the bill so that we can find out what's in it ''. WOW, sounds like a very smart person?
        The healthcare reform  bill was passed and signed into law by president Obama on 3/23/10. President Obama and the Dems who voted on the bill don't even know what is in the bill.The Dems voted on the student loan bill which was put in the Healthcare bill without a discussion or debate.
        I guess that's what  Obama meant by a transparent government.

Progressive radicalism is not what America is all about,  the people need to get their country back before the progressives destroy it.

Jon ol' buddy - You tossed out an old lie and I tossed out an old rebuttal to that lie. Illegal aliens are NOT covered by Health Care Reform. They can't buy coverage through the exchanges that will be created. They won't get subsidies.

As far as I am concerned, anyone who deliberately passes off information that they KNOW is untrue to support their ultra-conservative postion is a wingnut. I don't care if you attend teabagger functions or not.

You can disagree with me - or the President - or any issue - on the merits.  Lie about the issues or the President (or me) and I will call you on it.  Getting caught lying repeatedly destroys your credibility when you have a legitimate postion on an issue. (It could happen - maybe.)

But there is an upside - as long as you hate President  Obama, Brenda will pray for you..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)