jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think individual states can handle Medicare better than the Federal Gover

1. flacoinohio profile image82
    flacoinohioposted 5 years ago

Do you think individual states can handle Medicare better than the Federal Government?

I can see some states being very responsible with Medicare funds.  On the other hand I can also see many states abusing Medicare Funds and using them for other programs.  I wonder how smart it would be to allow states to control funds for programs that are the first to be cut when state budgets are trimmed down.  Would there be protection for recipients preventing reduction or denial of benefits?  Would there be strong penalties or sanctions that are vigorously enforced for states misusing Medicare funds?

2. profile image0
    Jayfortposted 5 years ago

Right now I feel Homer Simpson could do almost anything better than the Federal Government.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image99
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

I think the Feds need to handle Medicare, especially now that healthcare is becoming more data driven and centralized.  This is the best way to catch fraud and the best way to give care.  It works really well as is, I think...but of course, nothing is perfect.

4. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

If individual states handle Medicaid, there are going to be differences in the regulations in each state. Also, the majority of the states have not shown any better success in fiscal restraint than the federal government. States are always going to the federal government for money. The infamous earmarks in Congress are usually intended to fund a state project.

The states are already involved in  Medicaid to some extent. There is a relationship there and since it involves numerous governmental entities, is is probably be applied as equably as possible. Some states could do a great job. Other states could not, especially the less densely populated states with fewer recipients. It probably takes just as many people to service 1,000 clients as 200 clients. That is just the way the bureaucracy works. The short answer is to leave it at the federal level so it at least has a chance of being administered on a basis that gives an equal opportunity to everyone in need.