jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Does a presidential candidate's stance on women's issues sway your vote one way

1. Alecia Murphy profile image78
    Alecia Murphyposted 5 years ago

Does a presidential candidate's stance on women's issues sway your vote one way or another?

For women, does a presidential candidate's stance on women's issues affect why you will or will not vote for them more than any other issue? Or do you equally weigh it among other key issues like the job market, foreign policy, and healthcare?

2. lovemychris profile image60
    lovemychrisposted 5 years ago

It's THE issue for me. If they can control my body, where is my life?
    No thanks.....I'll deal with the consequences of my own  behavior, they can deal with theirs. Choice, and freedom from patriarchal rule.

Alecia Murphyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your insights lovemychris!

3. Georgie Lowery profile image95
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

I believe that all of the issues are equally important. Though I'm not taking birth control and would never in a million years have an abortion, anyone thinking that they have the right to deny me those things is not my candidate.

Thanks Georgie!

4. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

Alecia....It all matters to me.....except for Party affiliation.  I am an Independent and vote my conscience and choice, based upon serious focus and research.   I admit that a candidate's stance on women's issues can very well be the final and deciding factor for me.........If I am determining my choice....and say one candidate, in my opinion is an 80.....and the other a 70...in terms of their stance on various issues........if the 80 candidate has a stance on women's issues that I am in complete DISagreement  with.....the 70 candidate moves way past him!!   Know what I mean?   Women have struggled, worked, proven ourselves, and fought for far too long to even consider allowing someone to drag us backward!!!!

Hi effer,
      I understand completely where you're coming from. If only more people were able to have the insight to evaluate candidates like you.  Thank you so much for answering.

5. smlbizmatters profile image70
    smlbizmattersposted 5 years ago

All of the issues are important to me. I want to see the country progress. However, civil rights and women's rights are constantly a debated topic that I believe should not even be up for discussion at this point because these should be the basic but since its not and I'm a woman issues pertaining to that will sway me. When a person believes that they can impose their personal morals and beliefs on others and believe they should tell a woman how to handle her body meanwhile  you perpetuate the idea that a woman's work isn't as good a man so you is less that bothers me on a cellular level. I cannot support anyone that doesn't embody what core values America was founded on. People leave their home countries to come here for a better life and it is our civil duty to insure that the American dream is not a legacy but continues.

I understand where you're coming from smllbizmatters. And I agree- imposing one's beliefs on others is never the way to go.

working