jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (12 posts)

How long can you live on the food and water you currently have in your home?

1. TempusFugit profile image60
    TempusFugitposted 5 years ago

How long can you live on the food and water you currently have in your home?

When it comes to water, How many gallons are equipped to filter for survival?

2. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

Because there are five of us, I would guess about 10-15 days on the food. The water comes from the city so that's till the city runs out, but one cannot live on water alone for more than a month, I believe. And I don't know about the gallons or liters, but I do know we need at least a liter of drinking water each day.Interesting question; is it steered towards a water shortage?

1. TempusFugit profile image60
      TempusFugitposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Shortage, not really, however the city in which I live only has a three day supply if they are cut off.
      Just a question to get people thinking. I have 120 gallons of fresh water in storage and the ability to filter 50,000 gallons.

3. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 5 years ago

What a great question......
    It depends on what you mean by survival....

If physiologically, just to drink, assuming you are reasonably healthy and of reasonable weight..(no preexisting condition) you can live on the energy reserve of your body for two weeks..with water alone...unlimited amount of drinking water...one gallon per day..
    oh dear...I never thought about food for me..I do not know..
    For the dogs yes...

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

We have a well and a generator.  We need to get a hand pump in case there is a massive shortage and we cannot fuel our generator.  Yes, we have food too, likely a couple of months depending on if we have a couple of our kids to look out for too.  My feeling is we would have two more mouths to feed, and the dogs.  I better put more aside!

5. aguasilver profile image81
    aguasilverposted 5 years ago

Virtually for ever... I live in a tropical zone (Penang) so water is 'delivered' free most days to our house! and as for fruit, and vegetables, well they grow abundantly and are always in the street markets.

I also have enough pulses, beans and rice to survive at least 6 weeks without needing to shop, it may get boring, but that is not really important (and I have plenty of fresh spices etc as well))

Off the grid is really the only way to go for survival, cities are where the death tolls will be when the proverbial hits the fan

6. edhan profile image62
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Not more than a week. No spare supply since the market is 6 minutes walk.

7. Emmyboy profile image83
    Emmyboyposted 5 years ago

It won't last us for more than two weeks, give or take. This is simply because we don't like to stock up our food stuff so as to avail us with the opportunity to have some form of variety in choosing the food we eat.

But now you mentioned it, I think I am going straight to the market to make sure our stock will last us for two weeks and a day!

As for our drinking water, we have quite enough to last us for about two months but if worse comes to worse, we might have to make do with either rainwater  or fanta!

Thanks for that question.

As for

8. cloverleaffarm profile image66
    cloverleaffarmposted 5 years ago

We would be able to go months. We grow about 75 % of our own food, and can it. So, it is right there on the shelf when we need it. We cook all our meals from scratch, from our pantry food. It's a great feeling to know we are all set.

9. swordsbane profile image61
    swordsbaneposted 5 years ago

In my apartment there is no room to store, but I am within walking distance of friends who have plenty, and if the phones still work, I am within an hours drive (two to three if I have to offroad it) of at least six people with guns, gasoline, generators, 4-w drives and more food and survival gear than thirty people would need, much less seven.

Sorry, you only asked about water but..... I'm good.  There's a creek out back.

10. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 5 years ago

In our caravan if we had to survive with what we have right now I think being careful we could last it out for 2-3 weeks . Wouldn't be that great near the end of it . We are by a lake so have plenty of water nearby .

11. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

A week. If you give me a few days warning, I can get enough for a month. Oh, I don't count by gallons. I monitor water supply by water bottles and those gigantic jugs. One jug per bath, and three or four bottles of water a day.

working