jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Do you have to have your voter registration card to vote on election day?

1. jenbeach21 profile image78
    jenbeach21posted 5 years ago

Do you have to have your voter registration card to vote on election day?

2. Alecia Murphy profile image79
    Alecia Murphyposted 5 years ago

I am from NC and we don't have any laws at the moment requesting we have a Voter ID or Voter Registration card. As long as you provide a valid address and your name, they let you vote.

3. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

Only if you're an Obama voter. Then you have to have a driver's license, a Social Security card, two credit cards not maxed out, your most recent utilities bill, and a note from your mother. Or that's what the demwits combating voter ID laws tell us, anyway.

4. Kimberly Vaughn profile image85
    Kimberly Vaughnposted 5 years ago

In Missouri we don't have to have our voter registration card, just our ID. The election authority will also accept a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck or other government document that with your name and address.

5. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

It is nice to have but it was not required for mine. Just the drivers licence for me.

6. joanwz profile image74
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

I live in Texas. One November I had misplaced my voter card. All I had to do was show my driver's license and they let me vote. The first time my daughter voted, her voter card had not shown up in the mail until the day after election day, but her name was on the voter rolls, Same thing happened, she showed her driver's license, and they let her vote.

7. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 5 years ago

You don't have to have your voter card. There are many other options in most states, perhaps you have a passport or driver's license, social security card, or valid student ID. It pays to double check but bank statements and utility bills can also satisfy the identification requirement in your state.

8. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
    Kathleen Cochranposted 5 years ago

Attikos:  Never miss an opportuntiy to be funny.  My husband says they are expecting such huge crowds at the polling places they are having all the republicans vote on Tuesday and all the democrats vote on Wednesday.  Funny.

jenbeach21:  Be careful where you get your questions anwered.  Check with your county's office of elections to be sure, but usually you only have to show a valid I.D. that shows your address.

9. brblog profile image85
    brblogposted 5 years ago

I didn’t need any ID and didn’t show any. I am registered, went to the polling place, told them my name. They looked me up, had me sign the form to verify that “my information was correct” and I voted.

Then, since I live in Chicago (actually a suburb), I proceed to the next precinct and did it all over again, and again and again . . . and so on and so on.

OK JUST KIDDING, I only voted once . . . really, honest, swear!

10. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

In Louisiana you are require to have a photo ID--it can be a Driver's license, a state issued ID, a passport, a government ID, a student ID card, etc. It is not an excessive requirement. It helps to move the voting lines faster, so the poll commissions can see the name on the ID and compare it to the voter rolls, which in Louisiana, you have to sign. Thus no one else can come in and claim to be me and I cannot vote a second time in another precinct. It is not an unreasonable requirement. There are also special laws to help the disable, elderly and bedridden people vote.

11. Sherry Hewins profile image96
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

In California you don't need any card or ID to vote, you do need a photo ID to register to vote. You sign next to your name on a list of registered voters to receive your ballot.

Closed to reply