jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What did obama meant when he said..."everyone has to chip in"?

1. jose7polanco profile image75
    jose7polancoposted 5 years ago

What did obama meant when he said..."everyone has to chip in"?

I was watching a obama speech about the weak economy and the plans fo obama care. He said, "i said before and I will say it again, everyone has to chip in". He was talking about protecting the largest medicare program and how thing that hurt the economy like natural disasters are out of control, but for this to get better everyone has to chip in.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

He meant everyone (Big Business) has to do their part as United States citizens to help revive the economy. Big Business wants everyone to believe that their taxes being raised is going to affect them immensely. They want people to think that laying off employees, cutting their hours so they won't have to provide them with insurance, working people twice as hard to take of the slack of those that have been layed off to save the Company money, and on and on. This is simply not the case.

I think he also meant that Congress has to put their personal feelings to the side and work with him to do what is best for the American people.

jose7polancoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

But he was talking about protecting the medicare when he said that....At the end he talked about the economy. I hope he means what you said and not the chip implanted i heard of. Thanks

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image100
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

What he meant was that every American has to do his part to try and make things better for the country.  This would include doing our part to protect the weakest among us.  It was pretty clear what he meant, don't know why you're confused about it.

jose7polancoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Because he was talking about the obama care, enforcing protections for it. Then came up with "everyone has to chip in" i tried relating that sentence to economy or anything else but he was only talking about prevent medical frauds.

4. Sue St. Clair profile image72
    Sue St. Clairposted 5 years ago

You are smart in asking the question. When Obama speaks, people often hear what they want to hear. He often chooses his words carefully. Such phrases as everyone has to chip in, he is using a poker metaphor referring to everyone has to pay more into the system. If we used another poker metaphor and said, "everyone has to ante up" or "everyone has to make sure the pot is right", it becomes clearer what he is getting at. He not only wants everyone to pay, he wants them to pay a larger amount.

He is not saying, "let's do this together" or "we are a team and need more teamwork", by using the term 'chip in', he is making it clear that he wants more money, and that he thinks EVERYONE needs to pay in. This is a giant poker game, with a huge pot, where the odds are in his favor. He wants to make sure that the pot is as big as possible.

Implied in his statement is that the new obamacare need 100% participation. He wants the pool of participants to be everyone in the country. His comment is directed at making sure that everyone is at the poker table. He does not want anyone to leave the game early or choose not to play. In other words, he is saying everyone will be FORCED to participate. In this case, 'EVERYONE has to chip in'.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Much like what JFK said... "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country.