Regardless of the outcome, do you think that the Texas Secession Petition will b

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Robert Erich profile image74
    Robert Erichposted 11 years ago

Regardless of the outcome, do you think that the Texas Secession Petition will benefit America?

This is a scary time for the US. The last time a group wanted to leave the Union it resulted in the Civil War. However, the petition also reveals a serious point: If you treat those who are financially supporting the nation poorly - without listening to what they have to say - they will simply leave. Do you think there will be repercussions, positive or negative, from this petition?

2. LCall profile image61
    LCallposted 11 years ago

I was born and raised a Texan, and anyone born and raised here is inbred with a powerful sense of state pride. However, I don't support the petition to secede, nor do I expect it to reap any real benefits. I believe the people of Texas are being hypocritical and childish in supporting this idea; sure, Obama won, and the majority of Texas is upset. That's how plenty of other states felt when Bush won the first time and when he won his second term, but they didn't threaten a secession. I'm not belitting Republicans, because I am one, but I think we should all have a little more maturity as American citizens. We can't act like a whiny girlfriend/boyfriend who threatens to leave every time something doesn't go their way. I would be extremely shocked if anyone could devise a logical plan to sustain Texas' independence as a country, because I think it's laughable to believe there is one. I support the fact that Texas is taking a stand and trying to have its voice heard because that's what politics is all about. However, I think they could go about it a different way.

3. mollymeadows profile image70
    mollymeadowsposted 11 years ago

Maybe the people on SNL. ;-) They probably won't be able to resist.

4. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 11 years ago

I am seceding with the City of Austin!

It is silly, childish and Texas, threatens this every chance they get! The majority of Texans do not support it so I doubt they are going anywhere.  But they better be careful they could wind up a much smaller state or country.

As far as Texas supporting the Nation financially… yes they do, like everyone else in this country and for that support they have quite often reaped the reward of those entitlements they scream so loud about.

The whole planet had to put up with the Bush for 8 years, and we who had him as Governor had an additional 4 years on our sentence. So I am sure those that don't like President Obama can deal with him for 4 more years.

There's never been a law yet that didn't have a ridiculous consequence in some unusual situation; there's probably never been a government program that didn't accidentally benefit someone it wasn't intended to. Most people who work in government understand that what you do about it is fix the problem -- you don't just attack the whole government. --- Molly Ivens!

5. Attikos profile image83
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

Washington needs to wake up and and take seriously the extent of its alienation of what its insiders contumeliously call flyover country. Maybe these various secession steps, all of them including that of Texas, at this point symbolic, will motivate it to start doing so. Otherwise the symbolism will ripen into real movement.

6. Angela Blair profile image69
    Angela Blairposted 11 years ago

First, I'm delighted to read Justsilvia's comment where she quoted the late Molly Ivins. Molly was a dear friend of mine for many years and although our politics didn't always agree it sure didn't get in the way of the friendship. As to Texas packing their bags and quitting the U.S. -- don't think that will happen (and it's not because a majority don't want to because most of us actually give it some serious thought). There are the liberals among us that scream like banshees at the thought -- but put the rest of us down for stating our opinion just as they do -- that attitude will never fly with Texans -- we think everybody should have their say -- and if we don't like it do something about it. It's that way of thinking that has caused lots of Texans to consider "the secede" question. As for me personally -- I'm 75-years-old and have supported U.S. Presidents for all those years -- come what may! I've stood up and been counted and done my part as an American. Stick a fork in me -- I'm done -- this president is way beyond anything I could have imagined. For those who voted for him -- and over half of us did as he's won re-election -- I'd be interested to know how you feel about him when your broker than you've ever been, sicker with no access to physicians (because they quit) and can't buy gas for your car to go to work. Reckon how that's gonna work out for you? It's a lot more important to worry about those things than will the State of Texas secede and what percentage of Texans hope it happens!

What benefit would there be? Well, to a lot of us Texans there would be benefits -- personal to each and every one of us. I'm told that Texas is so unpopular among many of the states that they'd say "good riddance." Guess the answer is still up for grabs.

7. aethelthryth profile image88
    aethelthrythposted 11 years ago

You are right that it is scary.  For that reason I haven't signed a petition - yet.  But some of my family has, because the government hasn't listened to anything lesser, and I see it as a way to make people take the Constitution seriously, when they see that yes, old documents like the Declaration of Independence actually mean something.
    If Texas secedes, I know some Coloradans who want to move to Texas (which is saying a lot considering how beautiful western Colorado is and how beautiful west Texas isn't!)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)