jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Do you think that churches should be taxed or government regulated?

1. LAURENS WRIGHT profile image51
    LAURENS WRIGHTposted 5 years ago

Do you think that churches should be taxed or government regulated?

Some of the churches have become almost like cities, having apartment complexes, kitchens, schools, child care, stores, houses and much more.  Some churches help with welfare, the care of children and adults, medical expenses and housing of the poor, while other churches are in the business for profit, corruption and greed.  Some one said to go into a city and see where the money goes in that city by looking at the biggest, most expensive buildings.  In most cities, these are the banks and churches.  What is the purpose of religions, buildings and helping one another?

2. maxoxam41 profile image75
    maxoxam41posted 5 years ago

As soon as wealth is accumulated, there should be taxation. Churches shouldn't be exempt. I did not know that they were. But I would like to know what is the percentage dedicated to the people and to the personal fund of the church?

3. Attikos profile image78
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

All nonprofits should be taxed at the same rate. That would include advocacy groups and issues organizations. Don't single out any one, though. That crosses the line between the power to tax to the abuse of it to destroy.

4. Sapper profile image71
    Sapperposted 5 years ago

I was going to disagree with Attikos, but I actually have a better idea that would keep everyone happy I think. I think to qualify for 501(c)(3), the nonprofit tax exempt, none of the members of the nonprofit can be paid, for anything. Any that pays their members, should pay taxes like any other business.

Also, churches should be forced to follow the same rules all other nonprofits do. So no more getting involved with politics, they have to start not only keeping financial records, but also make them public, and they have to spend all the money they collect helping people, not building crap like this.

Since we all know they won't, tax the crap out of them.

1. Attikos profile image78
      Attikosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Same rules to apply not just to 3c's but to all? Labor unions, the Sierra Club, the NOW, the Democratic and Republican Parties? I could go for that. Otherwise, the proposal is just another biased and destructive hidden agenda.

2. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with sapper except I would add that they can not have a building worth more $300,000 in order to qualify. This would get rid of the wasteful spending of mega churches who build 5 million dollar churches.

3. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I actually agree with all you!

5. profile image51
    cajunsnakeposted 5 years ago

For the most part, I don't hold with "religion".  Take all the religions in this country, and ask which one is the only "true" religion.  What I believe is between me and God, and no one else.  As far as building, I prayed for three years in rice paddies, jungles and anywhere else I happen to be at the time, so no for me at least, I don't need a building.  But what I have seen in my life is that the bigger the churchs get, the farther from God they get.  It seems that they are more for themselves than in looking after the spiritual well being of their people.  Now as far as helping...all I can say is...some do, most don't.

Now should they be taxed?  After this last election...yes they should.  They crossed line, and now they need a reality check.