jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

(Survey Question For Hub) How do you fight your fears? Have you overcame a fear?

1. auirek profile image61
    auirekposted 5 years ago

(Survey Question For Hub) How do you fight your fears? Have you overcame a fear?

Please participate in this survey question!!!

2. pippap profile image86
    pippapposted 5 years ago

I find that positive self-talk helps me a lot.  Also, I use whatever time I may have to plan out my method of attack (so to speak). 

Example:  I have to go to the dentist's.  Dentists spark a fear factor in me.  So, I usually book an afternoon appointment; then spend a leisurely morning getting ready, having coffee, reading, whatever I feel like doing.  This gets me into a more relaxed frame of mind.

On the way to the dentist, I visualize a good pain-free session over and over.

At the dentist's, I use self-talk.  "The dentist is a professional.  My session will be pain-free just as I envisioned it to be, etc."

It works for me and it is totally drug-free!

auirekposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for your response. It seems to be that a lot of people don't like their teeth touched.

3. baygirl33 profile image61
    baygirl33posted 5 years ago

I believe I have overcome the fear of going to sleep in the dark after many years trying to do this. This may seem strange for an adult,but it was a deeply ingrained fear.I didn't feel it so much in my adult married life,but upon losing my husband I had to face the dark alone every night or sleep with the light on.
    The thing that cinched it for me, was hearing that sleep in the light interfered with the melatonin that allows your body to get healing sleep.
    If there's anything that can make you act on a problem,it's finding out how much harm you're doing yourself.

auirekposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for your answer. !!!

working