Do the legitimate uses of semiautomatic rifles like the Bushmaster 223 outweigh

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (33 posts)
  1. tipstoretireearly profile image80
    tipstoretireearlyposted 7 years ago

Do the legitimate uses of semiautomatic rifles like the Bushmaster 223 outweigh their horrific uses?

The Bushmaster .223 semiautomatic rifle can be purchased for $699.99 from Gander Mountain.  That price includes a 30-round .223 Remington magazine.  Do the legitimate uses of such semiautomatic rifles outweigh their horrific uses?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7472313_f260.jpg

2. Jack Burton profile image82
    Jack Burtonposted 7 years ago

Does the legitimate use of a 12 pack of beer outweigh the horrific uses of people who get drunk and kill people on the road after drinking one?

1. eternals3ptember profile image60
      eternals3ptemberposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Cars aren't designed to kill people. Guns sorta have an intented purpose: poking holes in people.

Jack Burtonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes people legitimately and legally need holes poked in them. Even lots of holes. Sometimes lots of people. It's not up to you to decide what a person uses to best accomplish that.

3. junkseller profile image83
      junksellerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sure it is. It's called a vote.

4. Jack Burton profile image82

Good luck with that thinking that you can vote away the rifles from the hands of the people.

3. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

what is the legitimate use? this has me confused because to me the only use for semi's and full autos is to blow holes in people.

1. Jack Burton profile image82

check out my hub on "assault rifles" and then get back to us.

2. nightwork4 profile image61
      nightwork4posted 7 years agoin reply to this

no that's ok. you asked a question and when i asked you the purpose, you try to promote your hub. that isn't happening . a simple answer would have sufficed but thanks anyway, you just gave me the answer.

4. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 7 years ago

Sure for the paranoid who think we will be invaded by a foreign power or who fear our government. I guess most don’t realize we are more afraid of them then the other two scenarios.

The 2nd Amendment is not because the people fear the government. It is to make the government fear the people.

2. Sarah Christina profile image81
      Sarah Christinaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. The reason bearing arms is a constitutional right is so that we the people have the ability to overthrow the government if it ever becomes a tyrant. It has nothing to do with paranoia, it's called logic.

5. junkseller profile image83
    junksellerposted 7 years ago

That's cheaper than penis enlargement surgery.

How odd only people like junk mention penises in connection with firearms. I've know tens of thousands of gunowners and have never heard them mention it outside medical discussions. Yet, give people like junk five minutes and it comes up. Yucky, eh.

2. junkseller profile image83

Actually lots of people mention the connection between firearms and penises it's just not usually by people who are at the moment stroking their Bushmaster.

3. Jack Burton profile image82

Double yucky. But he is the reason why the pro-firearms side is winning in the courts, the public opinion and legislatures. Who really in their hearts wants to stand next to a person who's first thought when seeing a gun is "penis."?

4. junkseller profile image83

The pro-firearms side is winning because I mentioned the word penis? Wow, I had no idea my schlong was so far-reaching. Go Woody!

5. Jack Burton profile image82

Best you can do, eh, Junk.

:-)

6. justthemessenger profile image87
    justthemessengerposted 7 years ago

Can anyone provide an example of a "legitimate" use of a semiautomatic rifle in the hands of a citizen who is not licensed security or police?

You really don't know what a semiautomatic rifle is, do you? Without googling or looking at any other reference why don't you tell us just what you think one is, and why it's use by citizens would be "illegitimate". Should be fun to read.

2. justthemessenger profile image87
      justthemessengerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I suppose that a semiautomatic weapon is one that can fire multiple rounds of ammunition at the same time. So, again what would I need  with that?

3. junkseller profile image83

Automatic is one trigger pull, many bullets. Semi-automatic is one trigger pull, one bullet. Automatic weapons are mostly illegal. Semi-automatic weapons include most of the legally available rifles and handguns, including hunting rifles.

4. Jack Burton profile image82

Since you're wrong in your definition that makes your question invalid on the face. Kinda like asking why unicorns are so mistreated down at the circus. But you can read my hub "Assault Weapons: Evil Black Rifles " and become really knowledgeable.

5. junkseller profile image83

I would not recommend Jack's hub. He is not in anyway interested in an honest discussion about the relative capabilities of different weapon platforms. I am sure you can judge by his condescending tone how sincere he is in his 'educational' efforts.

6. Jack Burton profile image82

junk can't actually point to anything in my hub that is wrong. He just would prefer that others remain in ignorance. The very fact that he would prefer people to not learn something speaks all we need to know.

7. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

As a matter of fact ,Yes . Thousands perhaps millions of Americans own them , only one though, doing negative will bring out all the people who think that owning a gun is  pure evil!   40,000 is a  great number right ? Thats how many people die a year from highway deaths . Is speeding on the  highways illegal? , DWI ?  17.000 , die each year in America from illicit drug use . are drugs illegal ?........The blindness of our culture in America is the problem .  The shallowness of understanding human nature ,   This idiot used his mommy's guns .........Right !, theres something wrong here people  !But it ain't the guns !

1. justthemessenger profile image87
      justthemessengerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm not trying to argue. I asked someone to provide a legitimate reason to own this type of weapon for the non-military,non-police,non- security non-collectors among us. And, still no answer.

You got a perfectly good answer. Everyone who reads this thread sees that. Why do you claim to be a Christian on your bio yet you're willing to fudge the truth right here in front of God and the whole 'net?  What kind of "message" is that sending?

8. chefsref profile image74
    chefsrefposted 7 years ago

I'm still waiting for anyone to tell us what the "legitimate" use of an assault rifle might be?
    ANyone who thinks they need these rifles is paranoid and should not have them. Who are you so afraid of that you need 30 or 60 rounds to take them out?
    And no, I am not an anti-gun nut, I have a collection of shotguns and hand guns, most of them inherited.

...you can read my hub "Assault Weapons: Evil Black Rifles " and become really knowledgeable about the issue, including an answer to your question.

9. junko profile image76
    junkoposted 7 years ago

The problem isn't the second amendment, it is State's Rights. It was state's rights that caused the civil war.  Some states felt the government was taking away their constitutionals rights to own people. They had a right to be wrong. Most people don't understand the power of Little government (State Government). they think Big Government (federal Government) is the enemy as they did during the civil war. Today places like Michigan,Wisconsin, Ohio and now, maybe Connecticut are finding out that their problems are not with the Federal Government but with the State Governments.

10. lostdogrwd profile image60
    lostdogrwdposted 7 years ago

you have very evil people in this world and evil people do evil thing. it against the law now to use these kind of weapon on other people now but the only use for these kind of weapons is if our government turn on the people and it did with The National Authorization Defense Act  or foreign invasion. that it. if a person buy this kind of weapon it should never be allow out in public. and people who don't want to have guns have the RIGHT TO NEVER BE THREATEN BY ANYONE WITH ANY TYPE OF GUNS.eye for an eye. when a person murder someone with a gun they should be executed with a gun or same type of weapon

1. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I actually can't believe this origional question is list as one of the "best " because these answers are the absolute worst ! THIS GUN pictured above is but one design of a gun , in that design it only functions as the same as any semi -auto gun !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://maven.io/company/pages/privacy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)