Discuss what you think about homelessness.

1. Dannell Parker profile image54
    Dannell Parkerposted 5 years ago

Discuss what you think about homelessness.

How do you feel about homeless people?  Are they just lazy?  Or are they homeless because of the economy or just plain down on their luck?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

I believe people are homeless for a number of reasons, which is completely heart breaking. I think the majority of the homeless have mental illnesses and cannot afford treatment or to go to a physician. There are also several that are homeless or are living in their cars with their children because there is just no work. Also so many veterans are homeless because the y have P.T.S.D. Post traumatic stress disorder and self medicate themselves with alcohol. So many homeless do this. This their medication for their mental illnesses. With all of that being said, I doubt that a considerable amount are homeless because they are lazy. Look how these people have to live, it takes more energy than working.

3. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

I try to have more compassion for the homeless because often the only thing that separates us are our circumstances in life, and those can change w/o warning: loss of a job, stock-market collapse, a serious illness, robbery or identity theft, etc. Not all are bums.  Sure there are those who have addiction problems or mental illness, and some will never be able to hold a job. How easy would it be to get a job w/ no phone and no address, no way to clean up and dress presentably?  Even the resilient ones will eventually get a warped sense of reality or lose their edge. They exist in survival mode and live in fear for their lives.

working