What About Our Homeless?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 3 years ago

The Biden administration is ear marking funds to provide stipends and housing for those crossing our southern border; after they leave Ice custody

We have a homeless crisis. Why do the democrats in Washington care more about non US citizens than they do legal residents in dire need?

1. lovetherain profile image80
      lovetherainposted 3 years agoin reply to this

My son is part of teh homeless community. Many don't want anything to do with the government, and their"help".

Live to Learnposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I'm not surprised.  However, if we still had a government  of, by and for the people would not have those in need, who did not have underlying conditions that caused them to fear unnecessarily, fearful of help.

2. Kyler J Falk profile image90
      Kyler J Falkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

If the homeless are struggling to utilize the social systems we have here in America, then the underlying problem is with the individual who is homeless, their past/present decisions, and their past/present predicaments. There will always be tragedy cases with their sob stories as attractive as a box full of kittens, but the general welfare already sees to it they have equitable opportunity for housing, food, social worker accessibility, and work programs.

In Lawrence, Kansas, the shelter there had about twenty dollars per day to feed everyone three hot meals (that's twenty dollars overall, not per person). This is because they spent so much on housing people, providing social services such as employment search, and offering help with independent housing. Funnily enough, the shelter consisted mostly of non-native illegal individuals, and they spent most of their resources on these female individuals rather than the majority whom were legal and male.

The same situation occurs here in California, in Laguna Beach. Most people who are homeless American citizens get outweighed first by illegal women, then legal women, then on and on down the chain. However, this is an unfair example if I leave out that this system is quite equitable so long as the less-of-a-minority groups work harder than the others for their opportunities.

All in all, the homeless issue falls back onto the jurisdiction of the state, and more thoroughly onto the city. If we are being callous and brutally honest, the homeless issue is a social issue more than it is a government issue (except pandemic-related issues, mostly). There is usually a chain of events that logically coincide with the outcome of homelessness in people's lives, and we would be better off working on the root of the issue rather than the symptoms.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Excellent. I have learned more about homelessness during the past year due to getting to know a fellow who does homeless outreach through our local medical clinic and what you write seems spot on.

Her question was phrased so as to imply that if funding is going to non-citizens as well as for homeless citizens, then it means the funders don't care about homelessness. It was nothing more than a silly partisan jab.

1. Kyler J Falk profile image90

Silly to be partisan over bipartisan decisions, so I didn't give that angle a second thought.

Clinton, Bush, Obama, Trump, and now Biden are all presidents who have done the best they can to both contain and assimilate illegals. The rhetoric they choose is vastly different, especially in Trump's case, but the paper trail says status quo for the most part.

3. Mark O Richardson profile image82
      Mark O Richardsonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Democrats care more so that they can get votes from them in the future. I perceived that not much was being done about illegal immigration until Trump was put in. Politicians are often too afraid to make unpopular stances because they want to get re-elected. Obviously things have not dramatically improved just because there is a new president.
      Personally, I believe that many illegals would try to go about the right way if it were easier. I think they think everything will be wonderful once they get here.
      But to address the homeless problem, the focus should be on the root of the issue...building people up through skills, education, etc. Then they will be empowered. Feeding people is just a temporary solution.
      Another thing that comes to mind...In another part of the country that I lived in a while back, one of the saddest things was that so many just wanted to get on disability and have the government take care of them. That can be a problem if they are fully capable. But it was a mindset that was being taught across multiple generations. So sad.

2. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 3 years ago

Homelessness is a complex problem that is mostly addressed by local jurisdictuins, though they do receive federal funds.

And your question is silly and intellectually dishonest, merely posed as a partisan dig.

No answer but an insult. Typical. Which is why I choose not to engage with you. Would appreciate you following suit.

1. profile image0

The Trump administration ear marked funds to provide assistance to foreign countries

We have a homeless crisis. Why did the Republicans in  Washington care more about non US citizens than they do legal residents in dire need?

1. Kyler J Falk profile image90

Most likely because they pose a bigger threat to the country as a whole than homeless legal citizens. Both parties seem to do their best in those regards.

2. Live to Learn profile image60

Do you ever get tired of what aboutism? We can't solve an issue because......WHAT ABOUT TRUMP?

I do wonder when the left will take responsibility for their ineptitudes.

1. profile image0

Do you ever stop pretending you're not a partisan tool? I merely turned your silly question around on you to demonstrate its inanity. I guess you didn't like that. big_smile

2. Credence2 profile image78
            Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

"I do wonder when the left will take responsibility for their ineptitudes."

Maybe at about the same time that the Right takes responsibility for theirs?

Oh gee. Another what aboutism. I'd like to say I didn't see that coming. But that would be a lie.

2. IslandBites profile image88
      IslandBitesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes. For some, NOW it is a problem. But to your point.

The Biden administration has a plan for housing and homelessness that is extraordinarily aggressive, putting billions into rent vouchers and construction, attacking restrictive zoning and committing to making housing a human right.

“We haven’t seen an approach that’s this comprehensive since the onset of modern homelessness,” said Donald Whitehead, executive director of the National Coalition for the Homeless.

Meanwhile...

On his first day in office, President Joe Biden extended the CDC’s eviction moratorium through March.

He also signed an executive order saying that FEMA should reimburse municipalities 100% of what they spend to house people in non-congregate shelters until the end of September. Under former President Trump, FEMA was providing 75% reimbursement.

1. profile image0

Thank you for providing this info.

3. Sharlee01 profile image78
      Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Her question is clear, with a clear context. Perhaps your not aware of the funds Biden earmarked to be spent on housing illegal immigrants.

"The Biden administration is earmarking funds to provide stipends and housing for those crossing our southern border; after they leave Ice custody

We have a homeless crisis. Why do the Democrats in Washington care more about non-US citizens than they do legal residents in dire need?"

The Biden Ad. has earmarked 86 million to house migrants here illegally. Fact ---    https://news.yahoo.com/biden-spending-8 … 30752.html

Not sure why you find it intellectually dishonest?  Yes, it is partisan due to  Biden a democrat shoved it down all others throats.   So, you are very correct on that point.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/biden … on-hotels/
      https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/wash … covid-cash
      https://www.businessinsider.com/biden-t … der-2021-3

3. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 3 years ago

Estimated homeless in America:

2007:  639,258
    2016:  549,928
    2020:  580,466

https://www.huduser.gov/portal/sites/de … Part-1.pdf

Let's see...a nearly 11,500 person drop in homelessness per year under a Democratic administration and a nearly 7,500 person increase under a Republican one.  Where have you been for the last four years while the numbers were climbing?

4. Perspycacious profile image62
    Perspycaciousposted 3 years ago

Frankly you are looking at the wrong numbers.  Look at homelessness as a percentage of the growing population, and homelessness in the Blue States compared with the Red States.  Fortunately I have been in a Red State, while those numbers were climbing.

5. Perspycacious profile image62
    Perspycaciousposted 3 years ago

...and my Red State is the one with 3% unemployment.  Put that in your pot pipe and smoke it!

1. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Who are you insulting?

2. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 3 years ago

One thing, i am more impressed with in the the US than in Canada is. They are building alot of tiny house communities to replace tent cities. Although one place in California charges the city & $130.000 for 8x8 tiny wood house not isolated . Which I could build a much better fully functional self  sustainable bricklike house for Under $5000. Anything with Government is so deeply corrupt.

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Unless you are building in the middle of Death Valley you can't, for even the footprint of that 8X8 "house" will cost more than your $5,000.  As will the necessary electric, plumbing and HVAC of that single room, not to mention the hookups to the various "grids" for that "self sustainable" room.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
          Castlepalomaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

https://www.google.com/search?q=jay+sha … vn9ZM,st:0

Jay Shafer was one of the pioneers of tiny house and myself in Canada. We both almost went homeless over the legal matter of difficulty. I can fully equipped an 8x8 tiny house to work on certain land, working on manufacturing 16X8 for $10,000 on up to $22,000.each.

1. wilderness profile image93
            wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That's what I said - $5,000 is completely out of line.  Even $22,000 requires that "certain land" rather than where the homeless are and is still questionable.  That's the cost of a garage in most areas, without plumbing, heating, AC, land, insulation or electrical service outside of a couple of outlets running off of already existing service.

But can you also do it while hiring all the work done rather than doing it yourself?  Few homeless have the expertise to design, build and supply a home of any size.  Or the tools, for that matter.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
              Castlepalomaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Jay is not as advanced as I am in eco living of landscape, water harvesting and grey water and compost systems He dose really beautiful designs and wood working.

I don't use a trailer. A  55 gal drum of aircrete is about $13 each a mix.
              For a house his size, I can build for $2000 cheaper than him. Because of aircrete material for solid floors and ceiling walls. Aircrete for the rocket stove mass heater/oven/stove. $500 for 300 watt solar systems . I refurbished solid wood furniture for very little or for nothing on Kijiji.

I use 16ft. Steel rails $10 a pieces on a floating deck of pieces of foam beneath. No foundation) Than set roller on the track to roll on to a towing truck, at cost of $300 for towing anywhere in Nova Scotia if need be.

A long as I find well water on property is by far the most important thing in the long run. Growing and selling plants along with construction can be  employment for the homeless. I would only accept people who would fall through the crack. No metal illness, no serious addiction and a desire to work with a good attitude.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)