jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you feel that the government is infringing on the Second Amendment of the Peo

1. LAURENS WRIGHT profile image53
    LAURENS WRIGHTposted 5 years ago

Do you feel that the government is infringing on the Second Amendment of the People to Bear Arms ?

The Second Amendment assures that the people of the United States will have the freedom to bear arms. Adolf Hitler said,“The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms."Josef Stalin said,“If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.”Mao Tze Tung said,“War can only be abolished through war, and in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun.”B.Franklin said"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

2. JimTxMiller profile image80
    JimTxMillerposted 5 years ago

No, I do not. I don't see any gun stores, gun shows nor sporting goods stores going out of business.

3. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

All individual rights are weighed against collective rights. Can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater is the classic example. The collective right of public safety outweighs the individual right to say whatever one wants.

Driving a vehicle requires training, insurance, and licensing and a person can be prevented from doing it if they display a pattern of behavior that can endanger public safety (driving while intoxicated, for instance).

There is a very long history of restrictions to gun ownership (e.g. background checks) which most people seem to think are perfectly reasonable. There is also a very long history of restricting ownership of certain classes of weapons (e.g automatic weapons) which most people also seem to feel are reasonable. There isn't anyone in government proposing anything which hasn't been done before, so I see no reason to accuse the government of such an infringement.

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.” -Dwight D. Eisenhower

The point of the 2nd Amendment was to maintain a power balance between a civilian militia and a standing army. There are two sides to that equation and unfortunately the standing army side has grown into (by far) the most powerful and capable standing army to ever exist. Of course the pro-gun types don't seem to mind this. Why? Well because the companies selling guns and tanks want to keep making money and have convinced people that they need a rifle so that if need be, they and their buddies, can go out and fight a tank platoon. It is a classic example of selling weapons to both sides of the fight. of course the fight is completely imaginary, but that doesn't really stop people these days.

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

I feel it has infringed on all of the Bill of Rights, not just the Second Amendment--one that seems pretty safe at the moment.