jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What would change in your life if you lost your job and were unemployed for a ye

1. alifeofdesign profile image90
    alifeofdesignposted 5 years ago

What would change in your life if you lost your job and were unemployed for a year?

With the poor economy still looming, casting an uncertain shadow on our futures, what would change in your life if you lost your job and were unemployed for a year?
    While talking with employed friends, I found it surprising and disturbing that so many failed to realize how difficult finding a job can be. For many of those employed friends, their spending habits have not changed and there is the assumption that life as they know it will remain the same. But what if it doesn't?

2. sparkleyfinger profile image93
    sparkleyfingerposted 5 years ago

I actually wrote a hub about this! i wont link it, because I don't want to spam up this answer, but i think it would actually encourage me to pursue my own business, as I would have more time to focus on that. (is the recession encouraging people to follow their dreams, just incase you want to see)
    I obviously wouldn't spend as much money as I do at the moment, but I would also be blacklisted for credit because I couldn't repay! (at least at the start)

Im currently trying to get rid of as many financial ties as possible because I am aware that, at any time, my employer may need to let us go. Its a sad realisation, but i try to prepare for it with a bit of positivity...

3. patchofearth profile image89
    patchofearthposted 5 years ago

I'm with the sparkleyfinger, I would be able to devote more time to my side project-- writing.  My goal is to make it my full-time gig, but I'm not there yet.  I would also push a little harder at some of my self-sufficiency projects to help reduce some of the financial need.  I have a garden and chickens.  I'd like to build up projects like catching rainwater and using less electricity, etc, etc. 

If I really needed the extra work, though, I'd even apply to the minimum wage jobs.  I'd like to think that my lifestyle is sufficiently simple enough to be carried in this way, at least for a while if that was all I could find.

4. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60
    Dont Taze Me Broposted 5 years ago

Collect unemployment for a year (they give you 2 now don't they?) then retire and/or die, but that's just me.
    If I was younger and couldn't find a job I'd use the unemployment money to fund my travel to wherever the best jobs were available in the whole country and do whatever necessary to get the best paying job I could. There is opportunity in small pockets all over the country. Here are the states where the jobs are: Washington, New Mexico, Nevada, Texas, Florida,. Arizona, North Dakota, good pay too! http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/09/07 … most-jobs/

If I was among the "masses" who voted for Barack Obama, I'd probably go on unemployment for the max, carefully not finding another job. Of course I'd sign up for food stamps because Nancy Pelosi says that is the best way to help the economy and create jobs, and that disability (I'll come up with something) I pridefully tried to hide when I was employed because I wanted to be a provider, well I guess I'd better swallow my pride and apply for SS disability. Where can I get one of those Obama Phones anyway? When all that ends maybe I'll be able to get a government job cause they are always hiring and the benefits are great and well, they took care of me this long! All that is if I was a follower of the President (blessed be his name).

5. Mrs Jil Manning profile image82
    Mrs Jil Manningposted 5 years ago

Everything changed in my life, some of it good, some of it I would not want to revisit.  Like sparkleyfinger, I too wrote a hub about the effects of my job loss. I don't think people really appreciate the part their job plays in self-esteem and confidence, until they lose it.  Mine took such a knock, even though it was hell for the last 6 months of working.  In work I would talk, face-to-face, email, phone maybe 100 people a week; when I lost my job, my world went silent.  On the plus side, I got my evenings and weekends back, and learned some valuable lessons. I had time to 'smell the roses' as they say, and develop my writing skills!