Will the American people change...or perish?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Born2care2001 profile image72
    Born2care2001posted 11 years ago

Will the American people change...or perish?

Most, if not all economic, energy and environmental statistics point to the need for new decisions and policies leading to a more sustainable lifestyle. Are we ready to change yet?

2. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Which American people are you talking about?  Canadians, Mexicans, Argentinians, or people from the offshore Islands that geographers consider to be part of the continents?

3. profile image0
    Moeskyposted 11 years ago

Ready or not - if and when real change is needed, all people, not just Americans, will have to learn to change. And we will because we are survivors..
    And we will, all people, adapt, evolve and mix until we have one world nation. One great colorful, spring-fresh salad of complimentary colors,shapes, textures and tastes.

Born2care2001posted 11 years agoin reply to this

A very poetic and flavorful response Moesky, almost inspiring. I just wonder what the threshold of pain is to promote that change. From one survivor to another...Thanks!

4. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

The thinking of the American citizenry is slowly changing but I doubt it's enough for major changes or group efforts. There are many roadblocks put up for financial reasons and out of self interests. Then there are people who refuse to change out of their own free (but informed) choice and those who are uninformed and choose not to be, let alone make a change. At some point, when the pain is too great to stick with old ways, the holdouts will change.

The frog is about to boil! Thanks Express10!

5. xstatic profile image60
    xstaticposted 11 years ago

Good question! I hve long felt that our country has become largely ungovernable. With the many terribly divisive issues like gun control and immigration facing us, it is hard to be optimistic.

6. lostdogrwd profile image60
    lostdogrwdposted 11 years ago

the change will come when we adults decide to make a very very even playing field for ALL OF OUR CHILDREN. your child is my child and we make way for all of our children have what needed to learn and contribute to the United State. there no reason FOR ONE SCHOOL SYSTEM IF SO MUCH BETTER THAN OTHER. other countries are so much better than the U S  for its about all of there kids. we do that and in time this country can get better. don't care what you try to do to me and I will respond to whatever but let us make it a better life and chance for our children

7. Borsia profile image41
    Borsiaposted 11 years ago

If history tells us anything it is that the American people will continue to choose the worst possible leaders from the most corrupt sectors of society and continue their downward spiral into the flames.
    They will admit that America can't police the world when the economy finally collapses. At which point the US will fragment just as the USSR did.
    Given that the public is a mixed bag between ignorant, selfish and corrupt it is unlikely that they will unify in time to save anything.
    That said is will be a dead heat race with the universal downfall of the planet and collapse of civilization.
    Fortunately I'm able to keep my faith in humanity knowing that we will soon be able to move to another planet.

8. CosmosDiver profile image60
    CosmosDiverposted 11 years ago

The only time they'll decide to change is when they are knee deep in a river glowing green wading for food that's beefed up in Rads. This goes to the whole world, not just America. Soon, it will be less "which alternative fuel can match the kind of output that fossil fuels and petroleum have given me" and more "which one of these fuels will kill me slower?"

9. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

The issues you outlined for more sustainable lifestyle are all valid and probably will all have to occur, but it will not be overnight, in a week, year or decade. Such changes do not occur because of government edict but instead because of the desire of the people. Often the delay is caused by the government, in its every increasing role or regulating so many things. We live longer. We are healthier. Our economy needs work, but it has a habit of bouncing back time and time again. We do not have to be ready for change. Change will occur. I am 62. When I was a child, if a family had a car, that was a big deal. My city had two television stations. We did not carry telephones in our pockets. We did not have satellites viewing hurricanes off the cost of Africa. Landing a man on the moon was still science fiction and the American dream of owning your own home, meant purchasing one you could afford and not moving every two years. Our lifestyles have changed and for the better in most cases. I like using my computer. I like the choices of television stations, and I find my mobile phone to be very convenient. Our infrastructure needs rebuilding. Our tax code needs to be cleaned up and since we are living longer we have to learn how we are going to care for the people who are too old to work, by today's standards, but not yet ready for Social Security and Medicare. Change will come. No one can write a plan. The change will come as we adapt to the changes around us. Remember, 200 years ago this nation was a wilderness. We've come a long way in a short time. Keep the faith.

10. jennfa123 profile image58
    jennfa123posted 11 years ago

Most, if not all economic, energy and environmental statistics point to the need for new decisions and policies leading to a more sustainable lifestyle. Are we ready to change yet?

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Some of us are--some are not. Change will cove over time and we will not notice it until years after it has occurred. That is the course of history.

11. Li Galo profile image73
    Li Galoposted 11 years ago

I'm wondering which Americans you are referring to (Canadians, US citizens, Mexicans or ?)... You have people on HP that are writers in Asia, Europe, and other places of the world, writing here for a Canadian, USA, British readership but also attracting readership as far as the Philippines.  I hope you'll clarify on this... Hmm... well, I can give a broad answer.

All people change.  All cultures and societies change.  Sometimes, the change is for the better and sometimes, it's for the worse.  It is my view, in regards to overall societies, that Canadians are doing okay, USA folks are in a bit of trouble but nothing they can't rise above and then be awesome again, and Mexico is just  getting worse... sadly so, because I so love Mexico and hope to return when things stabilize and are safer for me to travel there.

12. Chinaimport profile image77
    Chinaimportposted 11 years ago

Why only Americans? New policies leading to a more sustainable lifestyle is a challenge presented to the entire world. We all need to find a way to live without harming our environmental and energy resources in the long term.

So true! Thank you for responding!

13. Laramy74 profile image60
    Laramy74posted 11 years ago

I do not believe that any change will come.  We may have crossed the line between traditional American values and traditions to a European style political and economic system.  Our traditions that has defined America, such as the first and second amendments to the constitution, have been degraded with the radical 60’s mentality and  this challenge in particular  will change America to the point that we will not recognize. 
    We have seen  traditions such as marriage, education and racial tensions rip at the very fabric that once held this together.  More and more American have become dependent on government programs and Congress does not have the will to modify programs, such as Medicare and social security to begin the process to make America a country of producers rather than receivers.

14. Maya Pillai profile image39
    Maya Pillaiposted 11 years ago

it is never the technical problem that stops us from changing. It is our attitude. Change of attitude and perception can lead to a more sustainable lifestyle. It is wise to go with the flow than against it. Be ready to accept that the changes to make the transition more smoother.

15. TerryK81 profile image62
    TerryK81posted 11 years ago

Sadly it seems with our nation at least, that people pull together (if even heart-feltedly) when tragedy strikes, like 9/11 and sandy hook. Thing is, it seems by the way things are that it won't. People will only change when they get a wake up from God, which people should have that now with declining government, cover-ups, government plans that always screw over us citizens. It's when people get into control over big positions where they CAN make a difference with the economy, they apparently figure if it's not them and their family, screw it. There are the faithful few who remember where they came from and honestly try to make changes to benefit everyone, but it seems that they have someone over them that throws their ideas out the window. Then we have the debt issue and our president says we need to cut spending but then the military gets a huge paycheck for new gear, vehicles and weapons but yet where is this money coming from? I'm very blunt about what I answer, but I do consider: as long as the rich and powerful and famous keep doing as they do.....as long as people give God the shaft......as long as people don't seem to care and understand that we are all human....then you can be sure that nothing will change. it has only gotten consistently worse through all the years. already had 3 shootings this year over in my neck of the city. My heart looks to God.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)