What does the phrase "owe to the man" mean to you?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image87
    Billie Kelpinposted 5 years ago

What does the phrase "owe to the man" mean to you?

Various songs throughout recent American history have alluded to the phrase: "owe to the man".  The folk song, "Sixteen Tons," written by a coal miner and made popular byTennessee Ernie Ford in the 50s used the phrase: "another day older and deeper in debt; St. Peter don't ya call me 'cuz I can't go. I owe my sould to the company's store" referring to the practices of paying miners in vouchers that could only be used in the company's store, etc. Workers lived in the company owned dorms which created a bondage that was broken only by strikes. What does this phrase mean to you in modern-day USA.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7652651_f260.jpg

2. christalluna1124 profile image73
    christalluna1124posted 5 years ago

THE BILLS, THE IRS, ANYBODY I OWE MONEY TO AND DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY.

Billie Kelpinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

C, Love it!   I'm right there with you.  We need to bring in the cash, huh?  Let's do it!

2. christalluna1124 profile image73
      christalluna1124posted 5 years agoin reply to this

THANKS BILLIE,
      I TOTALLY AGREE. IT SEEMS LIKE I BARELY GET THE BILLS PAID AND HERE THEY ARE AGAIN.

3. Miller2232 profile image60
    Miller2232posted 5 years ago

When reading that phrase "owe to the the man", I think it means to pay the piper.

M, thanks!  No right/wrong to this ques!  I realized when I included that phrase elsewhere, it had different meaning to different people.  For me "pay the piper," is more of paying what you owe, whereas the other, to me, implies "the man" was unjust.

2. Miller2232 profile image60
      Miller2232posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, there is no right/wrong with the question. When you here the word "owe," everybody knows what that means.

4. VinesWritings profile image61
    VinesWritingsposted 5 years ago

The Rothschilds = the man.
    With, as accomplices:
    The Bilderberg Group
    The Trilateral Commission
    Council on Foreign Relations
    The Bohemian Grove
    Skull & Bones
    Which uses the following enforcement apparatuses:
    FBI
    CIA
    NSA
    IMF
    WTO
    UN
    Interpol
    And military ops all over the world.

This is just a short list of those who work for and support the man. The man is the top of the food chain; the person who holds all the cards. Anyone who denies the man his right to personal gain, they are summarily judged and relegated to the status conveyed upon them.

The beautiful thing about all this is that as the media is owned by a handful of people who belong to these organizations, you'll never hear about info like this from anywhere but alternative media. And, as always, you must be skeptical, and do your own research, in order to find your own answers.

V, WHOA! I have to look up half of these agencies - love your point abt the need to be skeptical.  In a way then, HP, since it allows this type of sharing, is "alternative media". Sounds like you might follow Pacifica Radio. Ian Masters ROCKS!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)