Is professional and/or civil discrimination based on body weight a legitimate co

1. Spongy0llama profile image90
    Spongy0llamaposted 5 years ago

Is professional and/or civil discrimination based on body weight a legitimate concern?

Some are calling obesity the last acceptable prejudice. With the ever increasing obesity epidemic gripping North America, is there any merit to such a statement?

2. LandmarkWealth profile image80
    LandmarkWealthposted 5 years ago

I think people are way too sensitive about all forms of discrimination.  Let's be realistic.  If you wanted to be salesman for a health food company and were morbidly obese...why shouldn't they tell you they can't hire you.  You certainly risk impacting sales based on your appearance.  The notion that you are being discriminated against is upsurd.  What should the employer do, hire someone who they know will likely hurt business and then wait for the negative sales result to fire them based on a lack of production.

3. CroftRoan profile image82
    CroftRoanposted 5 years ago

People are discriminated by other all the time. The only real difference with obesity is that it can and will cause series health problems. While I understand why people are sensitive about it, there is that underlying fact that it shouldn't be taken personally in the work force. I have had friends be turned down for jobs because they didn't match what the employer was looking for physically. It wasn't personal. It was just good business sense.

working