jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you still feel that women are discriminated in the world? Reasons?

1. taw2012 profile image60
    taw2012posted 6 years ago

Do you still feel that women are discriminated in the world? Reasons?

2. hobbynob profile image79
    hobbynobposted 6 years ago

yes. Look at Hillary Clinton in the presidential race last time around; even with the most popular Democratic president in her corner, she couldn't get the nomination.

3. Mmargie1966 profile image94
    Mmargie1966posted 6 years ago

My response to the question, "Do you still feel that women are discriminated in the world?"

Absolutely NOT! Here is why... read more

4. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 6 years ago

There's certainly still discrimination against women in certain areas of life. Things are clearly much better than they used to be, but far from perfect. I think we, rightly or wrongly, attribute certain roles to the sexes and these act as to impede a woman's ability to gain or maintain top jobs etc.

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Oh yes and it is so common most people don't notice it.  I am 60 and my generation started to come around on the issue of equality for the sexes.  The generation ahead of us, now getting quite old - still feel women should be seen and not heard or spend their time in the kitchen.  Makes me so angry.

Also look at the common language of today in the military or other competitive situations - if a young man does not pass the football correctly, they say he throws like a girl.  Or if a company of army recruits aren't doing what is expected, their sergeant may address them and say, "Come on ladies!"  Really?  Is that what they think of women?

Or the term "man up"  The examples go on.  Right down to the fact that we, as women, are expected to give up our family name and take our husband's.

All of this is discriminating against woman and very insulting.  So yes, discrimination is still present.

6. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

not to the point it once was but i know that women still can have it rough. it's better in most countries but really religious places tend to treat women with a lot less respect.

7. pagesvoice profile image85
    pagesvoiceposted 6 years ago

Women continue to be discriminated against on almost every level. They still are not on a level playing field with their male counterparts regarding pay and promotions. Women's rights are moving backward when it comes to contraception, Pro Choice, Planned Parenthood and on and on it goes. The interesting thing in all of this is the fact that those rolling back the carpet of progression for women have been and continue to be men. The way to change this is to flood the political market with female candidates and then have them elected to office. Perhaps then we will see some of these recent attacks on women's rights reversed.

8. DIYmyOmy profile image73
    DIYmyOmyposted 6 years ago

Worldwide the position of women is dismal: the blatant, sanctioned sexism that exists, for example, in the Muslim nations is appalling.

Here in the US, we are currently have a nation debate about whether or not health insurance carries should be required to provide birth control to their female clients. Birth control!

Women of my generation (I am 59) thought we have fought that fight decades ago and were way past the point of religious extremists deciding what a woman can do with *her own body.*

I live in Pennsylvania, and we now are fighting over a law forcing pregnant women to undergo vaginal penetration--to be raped. A rape forced upon them by the state.

Ponder that for a moment and then answer this question with it in mind and the only logical response is that women here at home are just as discriminated against as those in Iran.