jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Should there be a statue of Rosa Parks in Washington?

1. mintinfo profile image72
    mintinfoposted 5 years ago

Should there be a statue of Rosa Parks in Washington?

Was fighting for equal rights 60yrs ago something that deserves recognition today or would time, patience, and having faith in God have yealded the same results?

2. Gcrhoads64 profile image99
    Gcrhoads64posted 5 years ago

90 years after the Civil War, black citizens were still waiting for the respect and equality they deserved. Rosa Parks sparked a movement that resulted in a huge positive change for America. Yes, she deserves the honor, though I wish she were still alive to see it.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Perhaps God was working through Rosa Parks.  Rosa Parks was a courageous woman and her act changed the face of civil rights.  How can one be patient when there is a race of people in our own country treated so badly and so unfairly.  Yes, she deserves a stature and it is long overdue.

4. pagesvoice profile image85
    pagesvoiceposted 5 years ago

I grew up during the 1950s and 1960s and the memories of segregation, Governor George Wallace, beatings, police dogs and man's inhumanity to man still remain as sharp images in my mind.

I was picked up off the ground by my shirt collar while drinking from a water fountain in a Sears & Roebuck store by their security guard. He yelled, "Are you stupid boy?" while shaking me like a rag doll. That experience occurred in Savannah, Georgia and I was only 7 years old. You see, I was silly enough to think water was water and paid no attention to the sign that read "Coloreds Only."

Rosa Parks had finally had enough of the injustices leveled against her and other African Americans. She exhibited courage in the face of white supremacy and the constant barrage of humiliation and insults given out daily.

Does Rosa Parks deserve a statue? Why wouldn't she? Rosa Parks was a catalyst for change that was long overdue and it happened over a simple act of refusing to sit in the back of a bus. You bet Rosa Parks deserves a statue!

5. chef-de-jour profile image98
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

For sheer bravery alone she should have a statue. Rosa Parks stood strong against a huge force - racism - and we should all reflect on what that means. It means standing up against a gang of bullies, thugs and authority figures intent on oppression and obstruction.
    Imagine if you were faced with that! The whole system against you!! Would you go against convention and say enough is enough? She was the first to openly oppose the rules and regulations that were in place on public transport - she showed immense courage.
    A statue would be appropriate.

6. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

We are still fighting for equal rights TODAY. For instance, the recent assaults on the Voting Rights Act, parts of which are at serious risk in the Supreme Court at this very moment, or the concerted disenfranchisement efforts of this last election. Seems to me that many of the people who most resist equal rights are those who allegedly have a "faith in God," so no, I'm not sure waiting for them would have brought about any results at all. Even if it would, why wait? Just get it done.

So a statue? Yes, how about a bunch of them, and we can start with the front lawns of the 5 'conservative' Supreme Court Justices, since they evidently need a reminder.