Same sex marriage - Equality or Not for gay people?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (34 posts)
  1. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 8 years ago

Same sex marriage - Equality or Not for gay people?

Ireland recently voted 68% to 32% by referendum to allow same sex marriage, the first country in the world to do so. Is this true democracy at work? How do you view the decision - is it good for a whole country to be given the chance to vote on such a controversial subject?

2. Akriti Mattu profile image60
    Akriti Mattuposted 8 years ago

Absolutely. I'm proud of Ireland. Every individual in this world has the dignity to life. That cannot be taken.

1. teamrn profile image60
      teamrnposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Paula, "WHY R U bent on verbiage? " I AM. Why would you deny me choice when it doesn't harm  you?

3. d.william profile image73
    d.williamposted 8 years ago

Yes, it is a good thing for the people to settle such controversial crap and to put it to rest once and for all. 
    However, the premise that it a necessity is what is at fault.  The constitution provides that the majority of people may not pass laws that discriminate against a minority for any reason.  And to do so in the name of some antiquated religious superstition is truly a shame and a stain on what the "equality" for everyone truly means. 
    I doubt that our founding fathers ever intended the addition to 'equality for everyone' to extend the meaning to:  {Equal rights for everyone - except for those who the churches don't like.}

1. Aime F profile image70
      Aime Fposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree.

4. teamrn profile image60
    teamrnposted 8 years ago

Ireland voted on a referendum for Ireland. Personally, I don't feel that the people of southeast Ireland know what is good for people of northwest Ireland. I'd imagine that there's a kind of state governance of sorts.

That said, I believe in equal rights for ALL. I don't feel that marriage should be between 2 women or 2 men. Rather I believe marriage should be between a man and a woman.

However, 2 men and 2 women who care to unite, love each other, are committed to each other, should be considered EQUAL under the law and united; it just should not be called MARRIAGE.

1. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Except 'equal but seperate' isn't equal. Similar arguments were used when giving African Americans the same rights to white Americans. Do we really want to go there again? I'm not having a go - I'm just pointing it out

2. d.william profile image73
      d.williamposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Jacqui: i agree. redefining marriage for some is just another form of discrimination. No loving union should be a threat to anyone. Religion should have no say in this legal matter.

3. teamrn profile image60

Equal is equal. 2 gays have worked hard for equal rights which they should have. However, to call the union which they enjoy, 'marriage,' make a mockery of the UNION that I enjoy with my husband. Another word? UNION? COMMITMENT? My rights? UNEQUAL.

4. d.william profile image73

It's strange how 1 person can feel that giving some 1 else equal rights infringes on their personal lives. Love is love & no love between heterosexuals is better than any other love. it's denying others the same rights that's the mockery

5. teamrn profile image60

You seem more intent upon proving me wrong than on proving you right. Why bring up religion vs. legality debate; no one advocates legality or illegality. Rights not infringed. bur My rights? Since love is love, it can exist under another moniker.

6. d.william profile image73

Ur missing the point. By categorizing same sex couples as different from you, ur are implying that this minority is of lesser value than you are.

7. jlpark profile image79

If it's equal to yours why is it taking away from yours if it's called marriage? Why does it need another name? If UNION is equal, how about callin them all that, and take away the wor marriage - or would that make u feel yrs was lesser?

8. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, butI'm a bit confused - you say equal rights for all but then want to call it something other than marriage. Surely equal means just that - the same treatment for all regardless of sexual orientation, under the law. No conditions attached.

9. d.william profile image73

ANY 1 who opposes a minority for ANY reason has a: "i am better than you" complex.  Sad but true.

10. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

teamrn...a "marriage" = "union"="contract"="Legally binding promise/vow "  WHY R U bent on verbiage?  Might you prefer a lesbian be referred to as other than "woman?" "female?".bcuz U think these terms refer to only heterosexual women? NONSENSE.

11. feenix profile image57
      feenixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Obviously, I am black -- and I have been black for nearly seven decades. And I say, When to arguing for "gay rights," leave blacks out of it. And that is because having black skin is nowhere close to merely having homosexual proclivities.

12. d.william profile image73

feenix: the only similarity between being gay & being black is the discriminatory aspect. Pointing out how stupid it was to discriminate against blacks to show how stupid it is to discriminate against gay, or any other minority.

13. feenix profile image57
      feenixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

A great many blacks, including me, despise the fact that homosexuals are comparing themselves to us. We are sick and tired of it. Unfortunately, we can't speak out against it, because we will be labeled homophobes.

14. d.william profile image73

F: that is funny.the ratio of gays in the black community is no different than any other group.Using the discrimination of other groups of the past has nothing 2 do with relating gay 2 blacks any more so than 2 whites. Paranoia also  present in both

15. jlpark profile image79

It was 2 show just how stupid discrimination is - regardless of colour or orientation. We look bak on history and realise how stupid it was black/white - it will b the same soon. Neither u or I can change who we r - y is discrimination against me ok?

5. syzygyastro profile image80
    syzygyastroposted 8 years ago

Abolish all marriage requirements issued by church and state. They are all exercises in human breeding programs based on the pseudo science of eugenics. I will soon be submitting details in a hub.

I care not for what religious leaders or politicians think. You seem to feel because I'm not for gays calling themselves MARRIED, that I'm against equal rights. Not so. Just don't call the RELATIONSHIP a 'marriage' Be creative: a UNION? COMMITMENT?.

2. jlpark profile image79

Not sure if it was to me, teamrn, or this answer - if me - it's not that I think u r against equal rights - I'm just confused as 2 y if u aren't, they need 2 b seperate? If yrs was called 'union' not marriage, how would u feel?

3. chef-de-jour profile image96

Thank you, a radical statement - I look forward to your article!

4. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

teamrn...I don't think anyone cares what you're FOR or against.  None of us get to make up our own specific RULES.  What applies to one group, applies to all, in terms of equality.  You don't get a monopoly on the term, "marriage."  It's a word.

6. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 8 years ago

I personally applaud Ireland for taking it to the people of Ireland to decide.

Too often we trust polticians will not let their own personal biases cloud what they think we as their constituents want them to do.

Take Australia for example - Tony Abbot (Prime Minister) will not allow a conscience vote on Gay Marriage or even entertain the idea - regardless of the fact that a lot of Australia wants it to go through. The man even has a gay sister who he says he loves just as she is, but doesn't seem to think she's worthy of the same rights as he is.

In NZ, we have marriage equality - I'm married, and gay, and it doesn't take away anything from anyone else's marriage - in fact, the fact that gay people WANT to marry strengthens marriage as a concept I feel. I know many many married straight couples, and they don't feel that their union is affected in anyway by mine, nor made lesser because mine is referred to as marriage.

But - equal but seperate is not equal. Or America would still have seperate drinking fountains depending on skin colour. I don't want to see the world go back there - do you?

It was once said, 'a compromise isn't real unless it leaves both parties feel like they've 'given up something.' Legally, I must cater your wedding; Religiously, I must give up the meaning of my marriage vows?  Where is there compromise here?

2. jlpark profile image79

R u saying that gay marriage is lesser + if it is given the same meaning, then yrs will be lesser? I'd hope the meaning of yr marriage is love, + I'd never ask u to give that up. Not enuff space 2 answer the rest - hpy 2 discus tho. ?email?

3. chef-de-jour profile image96

Thank you. It will take a few decades before the fear and loathing in Ireland truly subsides but the majority vote was enlightening.

4. jlpark profile image79

Yeah. We have equality, but there are still those who fear and loathe us. I guess thats what makes life interesting - it would be boring if we all agreed with each other.

5. d.william profile image73

sadly the problems in Ireland have'nt ALL been solved. There's still a law on the books that allow killing gay people under the "Gay Panic Defence" law that must B removed.Many crazies in the U.S. wish that were the law here!!

7. tamarawilhite profile image87
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

It is a redefinition of the word, not equality. And to make things worse is the homosexual male inability to be faithful even when married, given various surveys where "married" homosexual male couples have rules for regular adultery. This led to the term "monogomish".
    If they want civil unions with full inheritance rights and hospital visitation, fine, but don't downgrade the concepts of monogamy and marriage, which create the stability that is best for raising children and living a happy life.

1. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sources for your claims? Also generalising an entire population on the actions of some...not clever - a great many gay people are in long term monog relationships. Also - seperate but equal is NOT equal. One is always viewed lesser.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)