jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

This is a Question to all the non-Americans who post to this site.

1. mike102771 profile image81
    mike102771posted 5 years ago

This is a Question to all the non-Americans who post to this site.

What do you think of the gun debate here in the USA? Is it covered in your country and if so what is being said?

2. Ratatosk profile image59
    Ratatoskposted 5 years ago

I am a non-American in fact and I´m not even living at this continent. And I don´t know what debate you all have but here in Europe we are not armed at all.

3. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

I'm UK, we have strict gun controls, and, thankfuly, this big yawn is not featuring on the news, which focuses mainly on important things.  If it sometimes does come up, it gives us a break to go to the lavatory, or go and make a cup of tea.

1. sasanqua profile image80
      sasanquaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No need to be disrespectful...

2. MickS profile image71
      MickSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is not disrespectful.

3. profile image0
      jfischerstoneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It is very disrespectful!!

4. MickS profile image71

It is not disrespectful to show no interest in political discusions of a country with which I have no interest or ties.

5. mike102771 profile image81
      mike102771posted 5 years agoin reply to this

“which focuses mainly on important things.” It would suggest that the killing of small children is not as important as a cup of earl gray (I prefer oolong). It’s not your interest it’s what you said and the implied context.

6. MickS profile image71

They are, of course, important things, but the question asked about The continuimg debate about gun control in the US, not the activities of some lunatic shooting up a school.
      Yep, oolong is fine, I prefer lapsang suchong, earl grey is foul.

4. sasanqua profile image80
    sasanquaposted 5 years ago

I'm in Australia, and it does come up a lot, especially when there has been a gun-related incident like Sandy Hook. Often the US's gun laws are compared to our own, and it is often implied there would be a lot less gun-related crime if the US adopted more strict gun laws like our own.

Thank you. After all the Mad Max movies I wouldn’t have guess that you have strict gun laws there. I guess the queen really likes to lay down the law.

2. MickS profile image71

The queen doesn't make or lay down the law, parliament does.

3. mike102771 profile image81

Chill Mick, just a little humor on a bleak subject. I am sure the only queen in charge there is Graham Norton.

5. Silverspeeder profile image59
    Silverspeederposted 5 years ago

Here in the UK gun laws don't stop people from obtaining guns to kill people, so i maybe stricter gun laws would not stop those who wish to use them for such purposes.
    We in the UK normally only see the bad news from the US but we do seem to get a lot about the US government and its inability to deal with its laws as they stand.
    Criminals don't give a damn about the law anyway and guns will be available for them to use whatever.
    By the way our Queen doesn't make any laws.

I do not believe in “best” answers, but I think yours was the closest to answering this one. I think most News people just want to report bad news (especially if on another country). It makes us feel better is someone else is worst off.

working